Author Topic: bike indicators  (Read 5248 times)

simonvincent

bike indicators
« on: November 08, 2007, 03:24:07 pm »
For my college project i have been given the task to design a set of indictors for a bike.  As part of my research i want to find out what you the cyclist think. i have come up with a short questionnaire could you please fill it in?

1)   Where do you feel in the most convenient place for the indictors to be located?
•   Under seat
•   On rear spokes
•   On a helmet
•   On some kind of belt

2) Where do you feel would be the best place for the switch to be located?
- on the handle bars
- on the bar between handle bars and seat
- on some kind of wrist strap

3) Would you prefer wires connecting the indicators or wireless for example blue tooth?

4) What do you think would be the best method of attaching the inidators to the bike?
- Clipped on
- c clip with a screw
- can you surguest any other clips?

5)How much would you be will ing to pay for indicators for your bike?
 £5-£9
 £10-£14
 £15-£19
 £20-£24
 £25-£29
 £30+

6)Do you think it would be a good idea to have a break light with the rear indictators?

7)Where is the best place for the front indicators to be located
- handle bars
- on the rider
- built into some gloves

8)do you think indicators are a good idea?
yes
no

any other feed back you would like to add would be helpful

peterh

Re: bike indicators
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 10:01:36 pm »
This sounds fun :-)

>> Where do you feel in the most convenient place for the indictors to be located?
Under the seat would be good - or on the chain stays.

>> Where do you feel would be the best place for the switch to be located?
Has to be on the handlebars. You don't want to be moving your hands around when you're just about to turn a corner.

>> Would you prefer wires connecting the indicators or wireless for example blue tooth?
Probably wires - BT and wireless would use too much power?

>> What do you think would be the best method of attaching the inidators to the bike?
Clip with screw - like normal bike lights?

>> How much would you be will ing to pay for indicators for your bike?
Hmmm, well I'm not too sure I want indicators, but if I had to choose I'd say £20-£24

>> Do you think it would be a good idea to have a break light with the rear indictators?
Brake lights would be useful when following people closely on trails or night-riding? There might be more of a opportunity for brake light.

>> Where is the best place for the front indicators to be locate
Handle bars or forks?

>> do you think indicators are a good idea?
Not really I'm afraid - I just think it's easier to put your arm out. But don't let that put you off.
But a brake light might be fun!

Good luck!

yowie

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 02:47:39 pm »
Hi, here are my answers.

1)   Where do you feel in the most convenient place for the indictors to be located?
•   Under seat
   -but at the extreme back of the bike if possible i.e. at the back of a rear pannier-rack.

2) Where do you feel would be the best place for the switch to be located?
   -on the handle bars

3) Would you prefer wires connecting the indicators or wireless for example blue tooth?
   -Wired - reliability is more important. This way you only need a single battery pack, shich is less fuss,

4) What do you think would be the best method of attaching the inidators to the bike?
   -can you surguest any other clips?
   -Use a plastic p-clip. Like a Cateye light bracket. http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5300003973&n=Cateye%20Rear%20Light%20Clamp
I would like the indicators permanently fitted to the bike. i.e. not removable when you park up.

5)How much would you be will ing to pay for indicators for your bike?
   -£15-£19

6)Do you think it would be a good idea to have a brake light with the rear indictators?
   -Yes

7)Where is the best place for the front indicators to be located
   -handle bars - high-up and wide apart

8)do you think indicators are a good idea?
   -yes

I think you might get some useful information by reviewing the strengths and weaknesses of the C-Tronic "B-Seen 101" light set (discontinued):
http://www.kinetics.org.uk/cgi-bin/criticalreviews.pl?showreview=BSeen&show=newest¤tReview=0

good luck.

peterh

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 04:42:01 pm »

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 08:59:39 pm »
What about lights (electroluminescence) in the back of your gloves - that flash only when your hand is removed from the handlebar.  Therefore your system will reinforce normal signaling, rather than replace it.  

Modifying a tail light so that it gets brighter when you slow - maybe using an accelerometer would be an excellent idea.