Author Topic: Tyres this time  (Read 13133 times)

Chris Land

Tyres this time
« on: January 20, 2004, 10:59:23 am »
In preparation for cycling round the world (or at least a few bits of it) I am playing around with tyres.  Previously I have toured on Schwalbe marathon (26x1.5) and Pasela Tourguard (26x1.75).  The marathon is a little better than the pasela for punctures, but not enormously.  The marathon rolls a little faster, probably due to a narrower profile and higher pressure (100psi).  The pasela is a little better on tracks and is a bit more comfortable, probably because of lower pressure (65psi) and wider profile.

I have just fitted some Marathon XR 1.75s and whilst they are fine on off-road tracks and grippy in the mud, they just roll too heavily for me to want to use them when mainly touring on road.

So - what is the best all round tyre for long-distance touring with a heavy camping load?  Should I use different tyres for Europe (mostly tarmac and good cycle-lanes) and other places where the roads may not be so good?

Is there an ideal all-rounder?

Is a 1.75 generally better than a 1.5, or should rolling resistance take priority over comfort[?]

Dude

Re: Tyres this time
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2004, 04:53:03 pm »
Hi Cris!
I am about to try Marathon 1,5" as soon as I can find a pair at a decent price. They seem to increesingly harder to find, and i was told the bike shop here in Stockholm would have to order them for me at almost tvice the pice I paid two years agoe for my 1,75 ones. There for It might even pay of to order them from Germany, if you need Ortlieb stuff to.

I have previously used both Marathon and Marathon XR. First year I toured S.E. Asia and at home with them. Combined with Mr Tuffy tireliners i had no punkture during 8500km!
The year after I whent from Singapore to Kunming, China, with a new set of XR at the back. Had one punkture first week on my 5 month trip. It was due to a perfectly alined round nail with a big head so it flipped up into my tire. Had to use a plier to get it out. I have 4-5.5 bar depending on surface.

I chare your impessions on these tires.
I think the Marathon 1,75 is the most ideal all-rounder.
It can even perform well on very bad roads and loose surfased foresttrails, as I encountered in Laos and Cambodia. But If you are gone for some time I think bringing a set of foldable XR 1,75 along and use when the road surface gets worse would be ideal.

I have also used Avocet Cross 1,9: Last for ages. Has a strange sidwall curving so I had to reset my brakeblocks when I switched with MTB-tires. I there for killed them both prematurly one day when I was lasy and the blocks cut a hole in the sides. Think the sidewalles are more sensetive than Marathon. 1, 9 was very heavy to get rolling and now I would never go with a wider tire for touring than 1,75.
For this reason I won´t use my Mr tuffys nex time either. Marathon tires are good enough on their own, I think!
Please keep me posted about your journey. I am currently saving up for a world trip my self!

May you have the wind in your back!
Peter
« Last Edit: January 20, 2004, 05:54:09 pm by Dude »

bomber

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2004, 09:20:17 pm »
For mostly roads I think you'd find it much faster with 26x1.5s, but I must say that we got a good 4000 miles out of a pair of Continental Top Touring 2000s on the way through Europe last year. In India (with it's rougher roads!) the Marathon XRs are much better grip-wise, although definitely heavier to carry (and rolling)

Dave Whittle Thorn Workshop

• Thorn Cycles
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2004, 09:55:58 am »
You can wack alot more than 65psi in a 1.75 Tourguard, ignore the sidewall preasure and try 90psi.

Stijn

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2004, 02:53:06 pm »
It’s a shame this discussion is old, but here is some more intrest.

I'm playing around with tires as well. Currently driving around on the XR’s 1.9, I agree with everybody that they are way to slow, but good off road and conformable as well. I’m also drawn towards going narrower again, but the funny thing is that a company like Schwalbe has increased the width of their XR’s to even 2” and 2.25”, what are they thinking. As if everybody wants to cross the Sahara dessert. I’m puzzled.

So the optimum width lies probably between 1.5 and 1.75, weight wise about 550Gr. So the plain Marathon and the Top tourer 200 fit the bill nicely, but their  treads seem to smooth for me for unpaved roads.  Which is what I enjoy riding the most

Since my back tire wears much quicker as my front tiers and my punctures are many on the back as well, I’m thinking about going A-symmetric. A lighter nimble tire at the front, maybe a XR 1.75 or Hurricane and a father tier at the back, can’t think of anything else then a XR 1.9, but I wish they were lighter/faster.

Any suggestion greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Stijn

femmcommuter

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2004, 12:00:47 am »
Is it wise to mix different tyres? will it not effect handling performance?

femmcommuter

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2004, 12:02:32 am »
Is it wise to mix different tyres? will it not effect handling performance?

Michael Falk

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2004, 04:52:26 am »
Continental TravelContacts?

BAD: I don't like cornering on hard surfaces due to the tyre's raised edges; the smooth centre "tread" is slippery on wet unmade surfaces.

GOOD: quite high pressure for their size (1.75"; 85psi); they didn't wear much in 3000-4000km normally with a heavy load & never a puncture.

I never read about too many people using them for touring; Marathon XR's seem to be the favourite for durability.

I'm thinking of using 1.5" Schwalbe Marathons due to (hopefully) their better speed but some concern about using them on unmade surfaces.

Michael Falk

Stijn

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2004, 10:49:29 am »
Michael,

I do agree on your assessment of the Travel contact. Slicks get even worse on hard surface with a little gravel or sand, making cornering near to suicide. Don’t aske me how, but I managed two high-sides this season dislocating both my right and left shoulder.[B)]

With regards to A-symmetric tires, there used to be mountain bike tires dedicated for front and rear use. The front being lighter and rounder for better handling and grip in the corners, while the rears were fatter and flatter for better traction. I never tried them though.

The tier line-up for loaded adventure touring, so far:

Continental Top touring 2000, 1.75, 690Gr
Schwalbe Marathon ,1.5, 600Gr

Any other options?

Cheers,

Stijn

Stijn

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2004, 11:32:39 am »
Found a very thorough test report on a couple of tires, unfortunately its in Dutch.

http://www.fietsersbond.nl/dbfilestream.asp?id=2856

The Vredstein Scarab seems to come out very well, together with the TT2000.

Cheers,

Stijn

n/a

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2005, 12:39:19 pm »
Have a good look at the Dutch Perfect from trailbuzz.com. Also Argos do a Land Rover style tyre, their Hi-Gear twin value pack in 1.95 size, fit these with the Muddy Fox self healing tube from SJSCycles. Basically the tyre has grooves in the middle and knobs on the tyre edge, still as effective as ever on Land Rovers.

Dude

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2005, 11:51:38 am »

Update:
I have been using the "ordinary" Marathon 26"(559) 1.5" for commuting(30 km) almost every day for a year now. This summer I did a brilliant tree week tour round the south-eastern part of the Baltic(from Stockholm over Åland, southern Finland, Baltic and the ferry from Gdansk, Poland!). I have not experienced ANY punctures or problems at all during this time!!!

Love riding on dirt roads so with a fully loaded bike and inflated to the max they felt comfy and gave enough traction. They are much more easy rolling than any of the 1,75" tires, naturally, and highly recomended. Can´t see the need for heavy, extra, super, puncture-proof thingies for touring the roads of Europe! I even use these on shorter audax rides!

I did how ever get a flat touring from Portugal and round the southern Spain last year. But it was a thin steel "flake" that had worked it´s way in and through to the tube. But I rather ride with light and fast tires than anything bomb-proof that cost a ton!
Still saving my outdated 1,75" XR for a possible future expedition...

On my lighter wintertraining/commuter bike I have used the 32 mm 700c (622) Marathon´s for more than a year and have had no punctures or problems of any sort. This weekend I surprised the lads in the club as I had no problem keeping up on a 95km MTB-ride!

If your tires brake loose I think it has more to do with your bike handling skills than the tires. Instead of beefing up go out and do some MTB or CycloCross training an get it right!!!

Just remember when touring to keep them highly inflated and do ad some extra air when you load the bike up!

--- "To Infinity ----- _o
--- and Beyond! --- _\ \>
--- Roam Free!" -- (_)/(_)
¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°¤ø,,,,ø¤ºº°`°¤ø,,,,

bukidnon

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2006, 05:17:28 pm »
I've had problems with traction on sloping mud using PP Tourguards and wondered which tyres would be best for tours consisting of 90% road and 10% rough stuff.  Any suggestions?  The Marathons?  I know nothing about them.

Locally, there is a track, mostly grass, but with some motorcycle damage, which climbs 300 metres in 2 km.  I could use it as a short-cut to work if my tyres didn't spin.  This route would include tarmac and 7 km of forest road.  Is there any tyre which would give fast progress over that mix of surfaces?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 05:18:32 pm by bukidnon »