Author Topic: Help, squeaking BB...??  (Read 4015 times)

Stijn

Help, squeaking BB...??
« on: November 04, 2007, 04:32:38 pm »
Hi,

I've got the weirdest thing. I've got a squeaking noise with every turn of the cranks, coming from the BB area of my Raven Tour. I've had a good look at it and done the following thing. I regreased the ECC shell, swapped out the BB, swapped out the pedels, tightend all the chainring bolts.  I'm clueless. Has anybody got any suggestion please?

Cheers,

Stijn de Klerk

stutho

• Administrator
Re: Help, squeaking BB...??
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 09:58:41 am »
Hi Stijn,

The only time I have had a squeak  (as opposed to a click / pop or whirring) it was the bottom of my shoes rubbing on my SPD pedals!

Stijn

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 04:43:36 pm »
Mmm.., good point, I didn't try using other shoes. I suspect using different pedals might have fixed this though. Has anybody got any other suggestion?

Cheers,

Stijn

Stijn

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 06:41:34 pm »
Following a process of eliminated further, I definitely narrowed it down to either the bottom bracket or ECC shell. With the help of an extra pair of hands we were able to reproduce the squeaky noise by just rocking (hope this is the right word to use) the crank arms. Which rules out the pedals and the chainrings, because they didn’t engage at this point. This weekend I’m going to take it all apart again, for the forth time, but clean everything more thoroughly still.

Cheers,

stijn

geocycle

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 08:28:26 pm »
Good luck, there's nothing more irritating than a bottom bracket noise you can't trace.  Mine had a click due to an enlarged pair of holes in the eccentric made by the retaining bolts.  Repositioning the EBB and lots of grease on it and the cranks has solved it.

Stijn

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 03:49:01 pm »
Hi Geocycle,

That hadn't crossed my mind yet, although wouldn't your problem have not been solved by re-tightening the retainer bolts?

Cheers,

Stijn

geocycle

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 06:39:20 pm »
Stijn, the problem was that I had made two holes very close together and they had merged to make a groove.  Tightening the bolts helped initially then they moved under pressure from the pedals and the problem returned.  But, my noise was definitely a click one each revolution, not a squeak.....

stevegloster

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2007, 03:46:57 pm »
Hi Stijn

I had exactly the same problem and after stripping the whole chainset down it still persisited which was so annoying. To cut a long story short, i stripped each item down bit by bit until the problem was cured.  In the end it turned out to be the rear casette hub and this being a brand new Campagnolo Record as well!!