Technical > Wheels, Tyres and Brakes

Drop Bars and V-Brakes with 287 V Levers

(1/2) > >>

SPARSONS:
Anyone got any experience of how these work together? Some people have said they're difficult to set up and don't work that well, others say how good they are. Another option is regular Shimano levers and Mini- V's, but again there are varying reports on them aswell. I'm confused?

Chris Land:
I asked a similar question recently on C+ and recieved a number of positive responses.  I was asking as I am fed-up with the squeal from my avid shorty6 cantilevers. Seems that they are much easier to set up than regular levers and 'travel-agents' with v-brakes.  No idea about mini-vs.  Some suggested that the hoods are less comfortable than shimano levers.

All of this is based on what other people have said to me though, but I haven't yet tried them myself.

SPARSONS:
Chris,
Thanks for your reply, I've been there aswell. I'm probably going to give the 287 levers a try as I already have the V Brakes. C+ reviewed them twice and they scored an 8 and a 7 saying performance was as good as well set up cantis, but not as good as V-Brakes with straight bar levers. I'm currently running 35 mm tyres and dont know if they'd fit with mini-V's. Canti's are out as I don't have a rear brake hanger.
I've recently changed the brakes and bar set up on my XTC from Comfort bars and LX V-Brakes and levers to Drop Bars and Shimano Ultegra brake levers with Suntour XC Pro Cantis and the performance is Equal if not better now.
Steve

Chris Land:
Thanks Steve.  I might give the Suntour XC Pro Cantis a go then.  Are those the self-energising ones as I had heard that they could be a bit tricky to set up...

SPARSONS:
Chris,
There are 2 models of Suntour cantilevers, the XC Pro and the SE, self energising ones. I have the standard XC Pros and would thoroughly recommend them. Performance of the SE models was too powerful for my XTC frame though would probably be ok on your Nomad.
I don't know about setting them up as SJSC fitted them for me.
Steve

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version