Author Topic: Quiet knocking noise from second hand Rohloff hub  (Read 3226 times)

tt2cycletours

Quiet knocking noise from second hand Rohloff hub
« on: June 08, 2022, 09:43:14 pm »
I did about 250 miles over the Jubilee Bank-holiday weekend, in my rohloff equipped bike (second hand).

I can hear a very gently knocking sound, coming from the hub, in some gears.  Any ideas what that might be. Doesn't to effect operation, and I am not sure it was continuous even when staying in one gear.

This was my first proper ride with a Rohloff equipped bike, and I was very impressed.

And I read elsewhere that is probably a good idea to get the hub professionally serviced to check it over.  Any suggestions of where to get this done near Cambridge, and how much to expect to pay?

Or shall I ask SJSC to do it?

It is always better by bike!

tt2cycletours

Re: Quiet knocking noise from second hand Rohloff hub
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2022, 09:46:08 pm »
And, does anyone know the cost of replacing a hub cap on a Rohloff to turn a non disc to a disc hub?  Cycling About states this is possible but I can't find the hub cap for sell anywhere, and no mention on their official site.

JohnR

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2022, 08:44:21 pm »
Here's some discussion about the disc brake conversion http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=12605.0 .

You'll probably need to do some more cycling to try to pin down the circumstances when the knocking noise can be heard. However, first check that the pedals, cranks and bottom bracket are all tight. The frame is good at transferring noise from the origin to somewhere else. Is the knocking only in certain gears? If so, which? Has the oil been changed recently?

PH

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2022, 09:16:57 pm »
Knocking - I think that can only come from something lose. I'd want to check it isn't the other end of the drivetrain, there's simply more there to knock. Bottom bracket, cranks, chainring, pedals... even if everything  feels OK, I'd be tempted to remove, clean, re-grease and re-fit. On the hub, I'd examine the sprocket, there should be no play.  Then look for any play in the bearings, simply see if there's any sideways movement of the wheel. and of course the wheel build should be tight, lose spokes might make the wheel knock, though it's quite unlikely. Decide your own order of elimination, I tend to do the easiest checks first, even if they're not the most likely cause. If everything external is moving freely with no play, then the knocking has to be internal, that's a service centre job, highly unlikely, but not impossible.
Disc brake conversion - The thread John links to is me asking the same questions five years ago (Where does the time go??) I've just re-read it and ought to update my Mercury appraisal, it's more positive now! Along with the shell conversion at the cost quoted, there were the parts to change from internal to external shifting, about £200 all in, though I've no idea what that would be today.
You would have to seriously consider if you wanted disc brakes that much, I didn't, but I did want that frameset.  If I were to do it again, I'd sell what I had and buy new, the eventual price difference wasn't a lot and I'd have made slightly different choices, plus of course it would come without the wear and have a new warranty.

UKTony

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2022, 11:38:00 pm »
And, does anyone know the cost of replacing a hub cap on a Rohloff to turn a non disc to a disc hub?  Cycling About states this is possible but I can't find the hub cap for sell anywhere, and no mention on their official site.

SJSC did this for me in 9/2016 for a Nomad Mk2 with external transfer box. The whole job, Labour and parts,  cost £192.95 (inc VAT) which included,
1 hour Labour
1 brake cable inner/outer
OEM Rohloff Hub cap disc brake (£59.95)
TRP Spyke M disc brake and IS adapter 160mm
Thorn for Rohloff disc rotor for 32 hole hub  160mm
2 stage oil change fluids only
1 screw in drain plug  for Speedhub 500/14

Of course in hindsight I wish I’d paid Thorn’s special price £20 for the disc version  hub when I bought the bike new so it was future proofed if ever I want to convert from V brake to disc. Doh!

CycleTourer

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2022, 07:56:06 am »

This can only be done by an official Rohloff service center, since the hub shell must be carefully sanded and new special Locktite applied to the required specifications before the new disc cap is placed on the shell. I had this done by the official Rohloff distributor for Hungary, though unfortunately I have forgotten how much it cost.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2022, 10:58:02 am by CycleTourer »

mickeg

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2022, 10:58:37 am »
Is the chain too tight?  New Rohloff owners often set the chain too tight.

JohnR

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2022, 12:34:58 pm »
I just noticed this Rohloff silencing grease on the SJS website https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/lubricants/rohloff-silencing-grease-for-splined-sprockets-8517/. "Early splined sprockets occasionaly creaked, this grease was to apply at the time on installation. Current hubs and sprockets no longer need this grease."

tt2cycletours

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2022, 11:15:17 pm »
Thanks for all comments.  I have contacted SJSC for quote on changing hub cap to disc version.

The knocking noise has disappeared, so maybe it was luggage motion - I don't know.

I don't think the chain was too tight, but I have done that on my single speed commuter more than once.  I think the advice I once heard that if you can spin the cranks one complete turn with a strong push then the chain is not too tight is unhelpful as it is too imprecise. And in my recent experience I adopted that method, and soon realised the chain was far too tight.

JohnR

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2022, 12:11:22 pm »
See page 12 of the Thorn Owners Guide for the recommended chain tension http://www.sjscycles.com/thornpdf/ThornBikeOwnerManual2Web.pdf .