Community > Cycle Tours

Lilydale to Warburton Rail Trail on a Thorn Mercury

<< < (3/3)

John Saxby:
Thanks, Mke.  It's a 36T alloy ring from Rivendell Bike Works in Californaia.  I had one one the Raven (just sold this past w.e.), and this is the 2nd of two that I bought from RBW.

It's made by Origin8, so I understand, and the quality of manufacture is superb:  there is no tight spot in the chain. That is to say, none. None. At. All.  after well over half a century of chain-driven two-wheelers, this is the first-and-only time I've encountered such a wonderful thing.

There's a little sidebar story in the specs for Freddie:  I wanted to get a set of alloy mudguards from Velo Orange in Maryland (in the U.S.), replicating those on the Raven.  The fellow in charge there said that he'd always admired Thorn's frames, their conception & execution.  So, I put him in touch with Robin, and they've worked out an agreement to exchange products for sale in their respective markets. I mentioned to Scott at VO that I'd bought my ring from RBW/Origin8, and he's going to look into a supply of them.  Another detail in the Small World Dep't:  he's originally from Vancouver, but spent several years in Melbun where his wife was doing a Ph D in epidemiology.  He speaks fondly of your neighbourhood.  ;)

Cheers,  J.

Moronic:
Great to see the new bike at last, John.

At least in those shadowy shots it looks incredibly stealthy - like a beautifully preserved vintage classic that probably wouldn't be worth much these days. Just the thing for touring.  ;) ;)

Moronic:
Thanks for the tip on remaining Mercury frame stock. Timing isn't right for Lizzy so no point hassling Sarah just now.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version