Author Topic: We've lost a good one -- Dervla Murphy has died  (Read 1288 times)

John Saxby

We've lost a good one -- Dervla Murphy has died
« on: May 27, 2022, 03:35:50 am »
Here's her obituary in the Guardian: https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2022/may/26/dervla-murphy-obituary

There'll be many others, I'm sure.  Did any of us, or friends-of-friends, meet her?  In the local papers, I read of her journey through central-southern Africa in the mid-80s, but never met her.

RIP, lass.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: We've lost a good one -- Dervla Murphy has died
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2022, 03:39:59 am »
Oh!  :'( I am so sorry to hear this, John, though grateful for the news because I have long admired her and wondered how she was doing these days.

I first read of her in America's _Bike World_ magazine around 1976 and then in her first-person account _Full Tilt_. I still remember holding my breath while reading her account of being stalked by wolves through dark woods in Poland, as I recall. Her other, post-cycling books were wonderful as well.

Never met her but surely feel richer having "known" her from her writings. May she rest in peace.

Best,

Dan.

JohnR

Re: We've lost a good one -- Dervla Murphy has died
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2022, 08:25:10 am »
So far, I've only read two of her books: Full Tilt and In Ethiopia with a Mule but plan to read more. I was particularly interested in the Ethiopia adventure since I've spent time there (starting in 1978) although my travel there has been by easier means. My key memory from Full Tilt was her getting the 3 speed bike changed to single speed for ease of maintenance. No Rohloff hubs in those days!

RIP.