Technical > Wheels, Tyres and Brakes

Safe Skewers

(1/6) > >>

ourclarioncall:
If I get a son front dynamo then I think I would have to use quick release skewers or hex nut skewers. I would prefer the old fashioned chunky solid axle to feel like the wheel is safe and not going to fall off, but I don’t think son dynamos give you that option. They do through axles but I think that’s a bit different eh? You need A special type of fork for it to be compatible right ?

So if I have to have a skewer I was trawling throw internet to find out what my options are . My main goal is safety.

I keep researching different ones and often read bad reports , or also that the materials are not as good as sheldon brown recommends. I have no idea who he is but assume he is some sort of respected authority around these parts. He says…

“Good-quality skewers have acorn nuts with steel serrations that can bite into the face of the dropout, so the wheel won't slip, but most of the "boutique" skewers have soft aluminum parts in this position, presumably to save weight.

The aluminum "teeth" are too soft to get a good grip on the dropout. Since the chain pulls on the right side of the hub, where the acorn nut commonly resides, this type of skewer is almost always unsatisfactory for use with a frame that has horizontal dropouts. In addition, "boutique" skewers generally have (yuck!) aluminum threads, vs. the steel threads of the two-piece acorn nuts. The aluminum threads are much easier to strip. “

A lot of the high end skewers use aluminium or a mix of aluminium and steel. Shelton is recommending that both the nuts that bite into the dropouts be made from steel

It’s hard to find ones like this . Maybe older ones from the 80’s , 90’s etc were nice chunky steel ones ?

I just revisited the Abus locking skewers and it looks like they are made from stainless steel plus they have the extra theft protection so they could be a contender

ourclarioncall:
Quote taken from here

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/skewers.html

ourclarioncall:
https://www.abus.com/uk/Mobile-Security/Bike-Safety-and-Security/Locks/NutFix

JohnR:
Are you over-thinking this? Check the bike and you may find that the drop-outs are splayed outwards slightly so the skewer will be retained even if slightly loose.

ourclarioncall:
I analyse stuff to death ten times over 😄 but when I finally pull the trigger and make a decision I’m always confident I made the right one

Is that what they call lawyer lips? I will have a look and see

I’ve never had a problem with quick release. So part of it is probably a little irrational fear. Yet at the same time, I enjoy finding the best possible solution , especially if I decide to go touring the world

I have read of some of the best offerings failing so there is a bit of genuine cause for concern eh ?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version