Technical > General Technical

New (old) bike help required

<< < (2/15) > >>

ourclarioncall:

--- Quote from: julk on May 11, 2022, 05:02:35 pm ---Bike looks good if a bit under lubricated on the moving parts.
It is worth trying the drop bars for some time to see if you get to like them.

Moving to straight type bars will put you in a more upright position for braking and changing gear as all the bar is nearer to you.
A wider bar can be more comfortable for your stance and gripping the bars, it depends on your body shape and what you are used to.
If you do go to straight bars I recommend the handlebar grips with platform extensions to reduce pressure such as ergon gp1.
You may find a more upright position needs a slightly wider saddle for comfort.

Gear changers and brake levers for straight bars will probably need to be different ones from the drop handlebar ones.
I suspect you would need to replace the cables at the same time to get them all working.
I would look for recommendations from other forum users as just what to decide on given a variety of costs, someone will have done this in the past.

I hope this helps.
Julian

--- End quote ---

Just gave it a good clean and got some gt58 lube on it

I’ve adjusted the drops into a more extreme upright position and hopefully go for a run tonight and see how it feels. I guess I’m just used to straight bars on mountain bikes /hybrid bikes. I only ever had a drop bar bike once for a short time before I got a puncture and it was relegated to the shed. I’m sure I went over the handlebars when pulling the front brake. All my friends started getting mountain bikes so I got one too , about age 10 I think it was .

Thanks Julian , yeah my body shape is a bit quirky , long legs short torso , tight hamstrings /lower back . I could never cross my legs like all the other to eat kids In primary school 😊

ourclarioncall:
Wondering if the front bottle dynamo can be fixed

All the connections seem ok.

As I found out after I washed the bike and open the light , water gets in. The bulb seems ok. Can think of what it could be . Something internal where moisture has gotten in over the years? Something wrong with the bit that touches the tyre ? Well, it seems to spin fine.

Maybe me spinning the front wheel wasn’t fast enough to make the light work ?

Danneaux:

--- Quote ---This bike feels light to me! And it feels fast ! I don’t get it .
--- End quote ---
This is not a bad problem to have! ;D

All congratulations on your new bike. It is very nicely designed and constructed and I think will surprise you in many positive ways.

Best,

Dan.

Prince of Darkness:
Just passed ourclarioncall and this fine machine, at about 8:45 PM ;D I was returning from work on my Raven Sport Tour and he was going the other way. Really sorry I didn't stop for a quick chat, but I was a bit slow figuring out who it was :( Great machine, with a frame built by Kevin Sayles (you can see the KS stamp on the bottom bracket). Dynamo seemed to be working fine, but if you have any problems with it, I have one going spare :)

ourclarioncall:

--- Quote from: Prince of Darkness on May 11, 2022, 09:28:20 pm ---Just passed ourclarioncall and this fine machine, at about 8:45 PM ;D I was returning from work on my Raven Sport Tour and he was going the other way. Really sorry I didn't stop for a quick chat, but I was a bit slow figuring out who it was :( Great machine, with a frame built by Kevin Sayles (you can see the KS stamp on the bottom bracket). Dynamo seemed to be working fine, but if you have any problems with it, I have one going spare :)

--- End quote ---

How’s it going !! I was just thinking about you recently when I got the bike and went and re-read the messages you had posted as I couldn’t remember what bike it was you said you had

So it’s the xtc you have ? And a Raven sport  tour

I thought about saying hello properly but didn’t know if you’d recognise me and didn’t want to make you abruptly stop while you were cycling ! Next time we can can chat if you have a minute 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version