Author Topic: Steering stabliser  (Read 1991 times)

in4

Steering stabliser
« on: August 29, 2022, 10:44:08 pm »
Anyone have experience or a view of/ about using a steering stabiliser on a loaded touring bike?

j-ms

Re: Steering stabliser
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2022, 08:29:23 pm »
I have one on my Raven. I love it. No more wheel flop when using front panniers. However it does make creaky noises when turning sharply but, for me, that is a small price to pay for a stable parked bicycle.

hendrich

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2022, 02:41:27 pm »
Anyone have experience or a view of/ about using a steering stabiliser on a loaded touring bike?

Sorry, a little late in the game here. We use a Steerstopper (steerstopper.com) on our loaded tandem. A bit pricey, but I'm a sucker for functional and nice looking bike gear. The thing works great.

John Saxby

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2022, 02:40:25 am »
This is what I use:  In the photo below is an 8" quick-release rubber tie, with the SAK for size reference.  When needed, I simply wrap the QR tie around the downtube and the front wheel.  Takes maybe 5 seconds.

Price:  about 50¢

Weight: negligible

A couple of these live in my handlebar bag, along with a collection of zip-ties and 3 or 4 of the 4" QR ties.  The latter can be used to wrapping up my rain jacket, or (with a tent peg) anchoring a tent vestibule sheet against a wind, etc.

The advertised use of these QR ties is to hold grape vines, etc., against a post. They range in size from 2" to 12".