Community > Rohloff Internal Hub Gears

Fraid cable

(1/4) > >>

KDean:
As I put new handle bars on my Nomad Mrk2 I had to fit longer gear change cables for the Rohloff . One of the cables had one strand that had unwound / fraid about half way along & bunched up , I cut it away as it was only one strand & carried on . Everything is working fine but It's playing on my mind . Would you replace the cable again?

mickeg:
I have plenty of spares on the shelf in storage, thus I would have.

It is unclear to me if you cut off that one strand at the head, or mid way.

There have been times that I tried to avoid changing one, but I found that if I left one strand cut part way, I ran the risk that the one strand would be trouble later, it often was.  I think it best to cut off that one broken strand at the head so part of it cannot unwrap inside the outer housing, creating a snag.

Expendables, like cables and chains, cassettes, Rohloff sprocket, brake pads, Rohloff oil, I keep spares on the shelf.  I try to stock up only when on a good price but occasionally have to pay full price.

I usually wrap cables with tape before I cut them, that reduces chance that I will end up with a squished mess.  Dan has taught me to dip the ends of cables in Superglue to glue the strands together.  I do not know how long you have to let the cable sit before touching it to anything after teh Superglue application, I have used 15 min for the glue to harden which might be much longer than necessary.

steve216c:
I’m not sure where the cable is frayed, but if it is inside the outer cable there is always the risk that eventually it opens more and blocks clean gear changing.

I changed my outer cables to Jagwire so I can use standard Shimano inner cables. If I get a cable issue I alway have a stock of 6-8 gear and 6-8 brake cables. Not all bike stores stock the slightly narrower Rohloff cables, so it means I don’t need extra cable for main shifter lines.

Even so, it is not a terribly difficult job to replace the cable. I would order a spare if you don’t already have one, and just keep an eye on the frayed cable for any shifting problems. Once you get the first problem then replace with the spare cable you have on hand.

mickeg:

--- Quote from: steve216c on May 03, 2022, 05:13:38 pm ---...
I changed my outer cables to Jagwire so I can use standard Shimano inner cables. If I get a cable issue I alway have a stock of 6-8 gear and 6-8 brake cables. Not all bike stores stock the slightly narrower Rohloff cables, so it means I don’t need extra cable for main shifter lines.

--- End quote ---

I was unaware that Rohloff cables were thinner.

I have no clue what I used for outer housing, but I have been using Shimano or Campy cables on my Rohloff bike.  I do not think that my Rohloff came with outer housing, but I know that I had Rohloff inner cables initially.  I suspect I used plain old brake cable outer housing.

A few years ago I made a change in shifter location, needed longer inner cables, pretty sure I used Shimano but I might have used Campy. 

Some years ago I was ordering supplies on-line and someone had a sale on Campy shifter cables so I have a LOT of those.  They are not Campy brand, but have Campy heads that are slightly smaller. 

PH:

--- Quote from: mickeg on May 03, 2022, 09:51:08 pm ---
--- Quote from: steve216c on May 03, 2022, 05:13:38 pm ---...

--- End quote ---

I was unaware that Rohloff cables were thinner.

--- End quote ---
I'm glad it wasn't just me who didn't understand that!  I thought that the nipple on some cables was a better fit in the shifter than others, otherwise they were standard, but I've only used either the genuine Rohloff or the Transfil/Sram ones that SJS recommend.  I though the only non standard cable was the one into the hub on an internal shift, I'm not sure, I only changed that once and I bought the kit. For the outer, I've been using Shimano brake cable, I bought a workshop roll before I'd bought my first Rohloff 20+ years ago, it's likely to outlast me, though I've stopped giving lengths of it away.  It was a bargain, less than half price, maybe because it's grey, which might have been unfashionable at the time, though several people like it now - That either makes me a trendsetter or a skinflint...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version