Technical > Transmission

The 'Andre Jute' factory lube challenge?

<< < (2/3) > >>

steve216c:

--- Quote from: Matt2matt2002 on May 04, 2022, 03:10:29 am ---Yes, agreed. A great thread.
But are we going to include the chain ' stretch ' measurements?
Re above information: why was the chain changed?

I look for 0.5 to start my pondering and then 0.75 to wish I'd done it earlier.

Thoughts folks.

Best

Matt

--- End quote ---

I think it is established that chain stretch is less relevant on an IGH than on a derailleur bike. So it is not impossible to ride long beyond 0.75 on a Rohloff whereas a derailleur would jumping and skipping like a hyperactive child in nursery school by that point. But no reason not to include that data for those who have a measuring tool.
My initial focus was to see how far factory lube would take you before the chain needed it’s first attention. This would not necessarily be end of chain life due to stretch, but might be sooner or later depending on various factors such as humidity, ambient dust, ingress of dirt/debris etc.

Matt2matt2002:
Good point Steve but that's quite a lot of variables.
Subjective?

Agreed about the 0.75+ chain being ok on an IGH.

But re the results of this exercise/ survey, wouldn't a 'base' line be handy?

Best

Matt

Matt2matt2002:
About to kick off a longer tour than my recent Orkney visit, so thought I'd check the chain.
At +0.75 I decided to pop off the KMC X1 3/32 and put on the KMC X8 3/32 8 speed.
£12.99 from SJS.

Starting km/mile: 0 km
Chain type: KMC X1 3/32
Sprocket: 17 tooth Rohloff screw fit
Chainring: 38 tooth Surly stainless steel ring
Chainguard fitted (yes/no): YES
Type of Chainguard: Chainglider
Rear hub : Rohloff
Finishing km/miles:  6204km
Total distance covered: 3856 miles

Notes: I did oil the chain once when I found it a rusty colour a few months ago. I guess I could have run it longer. Both front and rear rings looked good and unworn. They have done 20,000 miles / 31,000 Km.

The same day I purchased from SJS, a KMC X1 EPT 3/32 Chain. 99 links ( short) £29.99.
They only had two in stock.
The blurb says it's been specifically designed for top quality IGHs and is extremely durable.
We will see.

Stay safe

Best

Matt

Andre Jute:
I'm a bit confused, Matt. You say you replaced an X1 chain with an X8, and then immediately report the X8 lasted 6K klicks. That's a long way to ride in a day! Is there perhaps a typo, and it was the X1 which lasted only 6204km?

Matt2matt2002:

--- Quote from: Andre Jute on June 07, 2022, 05:39:28 am ---I'm a bit confused, Matt. You say you replaced an X1 chain with an X8, and then immediately report the X8 lasted 6K klicks. That's a long way to ride in a day! Is there perhaps a typo, and it was the X1 which lasted only 6204km?

--- End quote ---

Apologies. Fat fingers and a foggy brain.
Post now ammended.
It was the X1 that did 6,000 I'm.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version