Technical > Transmission

What rear sprocket do I need to help me get up hills and mountains easier?

<< < (2/7) > >>

CycleTourer:

--- Quote from: mickeg on April 30, 2022, 11:58:49 am ---For heavy touring or for when I set up my Nomad Mk II with suspension front fork for mountain biking, I use a ratio of 2.25 for chainring to rear sprocket (36/16), chain drive.

--- End quote ---

I ride heavily loaded and have a 38/16 setup. I appreciate the ability to get up tough hills slowly but effortlessly, but I regret the inability to pedal at all on downhills. I can't imagine going even lower to 36.

Joseph_:
Thanks for all the info, it's a great help.
And if anyone could provide any more information on my belt options, that would be great too.
Also thanks for the offer JohnR, but I live in Belgium  :D
Cheers, Joseph.

JohnR:

--- Quote from: Joseph_ on April 30, 2022, 01:16:02 pm ---And if anyone could provide any more information on my belt options, that would be great too.
Also thanks for the offer JohnR, but I live in Belgium  :D

--- End quote ---
I would suggest that you measure the effective chainstay length (crank centre to rear axle centre) with the eccentric bottom bracket set to both the minimum and maximum distances so you are certain of the range that the calculated chainstay length must fall into for the various chainring / sprocket / belt combinations. You mention that the chainstay length is 460mm which is the same as the specs at https://www.koga.com/en/bikes/trekking/worldtraveller?frame=H but the data at https://geometrygeeks.bike/bike/koga-signature-worldtraveller-s-2-0-2021/ says 470mm (which is closer to the calculated chainstay length for your combination of components). Checking the range provided by the EBB is essential. If you don't know how to adjact the EBB then now is the time to learn.

As you are located in Belgium then it will be much easier to buy whatever parts you need.

PS: If the spocket is splined (much easier to remove / replace) then there are three sizes: 19T, 20T and 22T. If the sprocket is screw-on (much more difficult to remove) then there are 19T, 20T, 22T and 24T options.

Joseph_:
Thanks again John,

I should've mentioned that mechanically-wise I'm really a beginner but very eager to learn more.
And you're correct about the discrepancy in chainstay length between the standard Worldtraveller and the Signature version, it's something I too only found out today and am still wondering about.
I think the Signature value is correct (it's actually 469,5mm), I thought the Worldtraveller frames were identical, apparently they're not.
I never looked at my EBB before so I guess now's a good a time as any though for the actual replacement of parts I'm going to have to go to my local dealer anyway :-)

Joseph_:
Just quickly to confirm that the chainstay length is indeed 469,5 mm : https://www.koga.com/en/koga-signature/technical-information.htm
Thanks JohnR for that correction!

Additionally, may I ask where you found the info on the sprocket size options?
That's also something I've been confused about since browsing Gates documents I sometimes saw 22t as the maximum rear sprocket and sometimes 24t.
I must've missed something because of my inexperience  :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version