Community > Rohloff Internal Hub Gears

Lost top gears after replacing back tyre - how do I get them back ?

(1/3) > >>

swayzak:
I have an external shifter box for my Rohloff (Thorne Sterling, 2012ish).

I think I may turned the shifter down from 14 at some stage and now after putting box back on I've only got a few lower gears available (the highest of these when shifter is at 14).

How do I get the full 1-14 range back ?

Thanks

CycleTourer:
Use an 8mm spanner and turn the external-gear mech all the way counterclockwise. That will put the hub in gear 14. Then turn the twist shifter to gear 14 and gently move the twist shifter around the "14" indication until the box clicks back into place on the gear mech.

If you still don’t have all your gears from 14 down to 1, and then from 1 back up to 14, then you need to use the two screws on the gear box to adjust the tension on the shifter cables. If the tension on the shifter cables is too little, there will be too much play in the shifter. If the tension is too tight, you will lose gears 1 and 14.

Unfortunately, adjusting tension is a trial-and-error process that can take a long time, and at times you might need to remove the box and use the 8mm spanner to return the hub to gear 14 so that you know where you are.

PH:
What CT says, but if you haven't got a spanner to hand it's still easy without. 
Remove box
Put Shifter in gear 1
Replace box
Turn as far towards 14 as it will go
Remove box
Put shifter in gear 14
Hopefully both hub and shifter are now in the same gear

It's worth getting the hang of this as it's easily moved when fixing a puncture and you might not always have a spanner with you!

If it was all working before, it should all be working now, you shouldn't need to make any adjustments.  If it isn't working, something has changed, it's possible an inner cable isn't seated properly in the outer, or in the shifter.  I wouldn't start adjusting cable tension till you've eliminated all other possibilities, though it's not impossible it was working fine when something was out of place and the problem now is you've unwittingly fixed it!

mickeg:
Forget the spanner. 

Turn your shifter to the lowest gear. 

Remove the EX box.

Rotate shifter to 1.

Reassemble.  YOu should have all 14.

swayzak:
Thanks all - sorted !

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version