Technical > Lighting and Electronics

Pedal Cell

(1/3) > >>

tt2cycletours:
Hi, has anyone tried using this system? Looks an expensive option as an addition, but I like the idea of leaving the hub dynamo to power the lights, and having another device to handle charging/powering devices.

https://pedalcell.com/

tt2cycletours:
Here is a useful article on these modern rim dynamo systems:

https://www.cyclingabout.com/rim-dynamos-can-now-generate-more-power-than-hub-dynamos/

mickeg:

--- Quote from: tt2cycletours on April 15, 2022, 05:37:30 pm ---Hi, has anyone tried using this system? Looks an expensive option as an addition, but I like the idea of leaving the hub dynamo to power the lights, and having another device to handle charging/powering devices.

https://pedalcell.com/

--- End quote ---

I have no experience with that device.  I assume this question is for bike touring where you do not have access to an outlet (mains) every night.

Bike touring, I rarely use a headlight.  My last bike tour (five weeks long) I did not bother to install a headlight on the bike.  Instead I had one that attached to my handlebar with an elastic that I could plug into a powerbank if I needed a light for an evening ride to the pub or for a tunnel. On that tour I only used my dynohub with a Sinewave Revolution to charge batteries.  Never did need the headlight.

I usually have a AAA powered taillight flashing when touring, occasionally two.

I wrote up a piece on my electrics on that tour where I did not use any dyno powered lights at this link if you are curious:
http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=13696.0

I have installed dyno powered lighting on my light touring bike, if I use that bike on a tour the lights will remain installed.  But I expect that the lights would almost always be off while I prioritize battery charging.

martinf:
The Pedal Cell seems to be a good option for charging electrical gadgets, not so good for lighting.

The Velogical rim dynamo would be a very good option for someone who wants fixed lighting, but doesn't use lighting much in daytime. For that kind of use it would be better than a hub dynamo as there is no drag when the lights are off. I'd be wary of using it in muddy conditions, and if used constantly in daytime you would eventually have the issue of wear, starting with the O-ring every few thousand kms, and maybe in the long term the dynamo itself, as it spins much faster than a front hub. In my experience, decent dynamo hubs last for several tens of thousands of kms, so in that respect they are no worse than ordinary front hubs.

As always, there is no "free" power, so if using the Pedal Cell's high output option the drag will probably be noticeable. I used to notice the drag from the relatively inefficient old Soubitez and Miller tyre dynamos I had in the 1970's, but I don't notice it with my recent hub dynamos, and didn't notice it with the efficient B&M S6 tyre dynamo I had in the 1990's.

My own choice is almost the exact opposite. I have hub dynamos on all bikes, powering LED lamps that dont take much power, so they don't generate much extra drag. I generally leave the lamps on all the time, as I reckon they give a slight safety advantage when riding in traffic, so a rim or tyre dynamo would not be a particularly good choice for me. And I don't need to charge anything, as the electrical gadgets I currently take on tour are:

- a rechargeable battery-powered front lamp that I use as a flashlight for camping, in normal use this is good for over a month without recharging,
- a 2005 vintage dumbphone, whose battery lasts me at least 10 days in normal use, so with 2 spare batteries that weigh about 25 g each I am good for a month touring,
- a small digital camera. I generally don't even use up the first battery, but like the dumbphone I have 2 spare batteries that don't weigh very much.

When I eventually upgrade to a smartphone with GPS, I will probably go the powerbank route, with a fairly big and heavy battery, which I would charge every few days when staying in hostel/hotel accommodation, which I generally do anyway even when on a mainly camping tour.

mickeg:
To clarify, my previous comments were solely oriented towards being on a bike tour, then my priority is charging batteries from my dynohub.  Dyno powered lights are almost always off.

But riding near home, my dyno powered lights are usually turned on.  Last year I added dynohub to my fourth bike, now have dyno powered lights front and rear on those four.  When near home I can charge up my GPS while at home, thus my lights are usually on. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version