Author Topic: Locks, stands and other minor stuff  (Read 6011 times)

navrig

Re: Locks, stands and other minor stuff
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2022, 10:16:13 pm »
Just adding another point to reflect on regarding mirrors. Presumably you are UK based and therefore attuned to riding on left of road. Your head movements for checking traffic will instinctively go over your right shoulder.

In Spain you'll need to keep you wits about you. Unfamiliar roads and unfamiliar circumstances in an unfamiliar land may find you inadvertently looking over the wrong shoulder in an emergency situation which is the wrong time to wonder if mirrors might have been a good idea.

I'd suggest getting a set for the tour. You may find that you will find them a useful addition you'll keep when you return. I only recently converted to a mirror user and don't understand why I put off so long. Great inexpensive must haves in my opinion.

I've lived, driven and cycled extensively in countries which drive on the right so I am not overly concerned about that.

martinf

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2022, 07:43:40 am »
Be very careful on sound, you begin to rely on it but newer electric vehicles can be nearly silent.

Yes. Hearing is a complement to visual checks, and in traffic the sound made by electric vehicles is generally masked by the engine noise from other vehicles.

When there isn't any other traffic, electric vehicles generally make enough tyre and wind noise so that I can hear them coming, the exceptions are some electric bicycles and ordinary bicycles. In these two cases the speed differential is generally not all that great, so on ordinary roads where there is usually plenty of room for a two wheeler to overtake safely I reckon they don't pose much of a threat.

But I found that inexperienced tourists riding electric bikes too fast for the traffic conditions on narrow but busy cyclepaths were a real danger when I had a 4 month survey contract on an island.

mickeg

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2022, 11:36:09 am »
But I found that inexperienced tourists riding electric bikes too fast for the traffic conditions on narrow but busy cyclepaths were a real danger when I had a 4 month survey contract on an island.

Yup.  Three years ago, I was riding on a gravel trail, my Nomad Mk II heavily loaded so I had some gravel noise, it was quite windy so I had the wind noise, which included the wind blowing through the trees, and the rain noise.  I was passed by someone on an e-bike that I think was doing at least 45 km/hr.  This is on a bike trail that is less than two meters wide.  With the ambient noise, I had no clue that someone was coming up from behind so fast.

At least the e-bike riders in my community generally ride slower.  I think they are trying to make sure that they do not cause an accident since they are not allowed on the bike paths if they are using their motor.  But I see a lot of e-bikes on the bike paths that are illegally using their motors.

tyreon

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2022, 08:41:39 am »
Rural France somewhere near Digne-les-Bains: stayed at modest-but-nice hotel in a village-town of about 8,000. Put bikes towards back of hotel as directed by employee,bagan to lock them...employee said 'this isnt Liverpool here you know  ;). They wont go missing. They didnt. Can only report that cycle theft may not be as prevelant as it may be in the UK. The populations and density of people are less than this crowded island. I get the impression that the proprietors know their towns,reputations,clientel and wouldnt want any hoo-ha or police involvement should somehting go AWOL. Only carry a light(ish) lock. Do what you feel is right:  but no need to carry a 3kgs New York Bronx Thudbuster job.

Plus one for mirror(s). Who is the German world tourist(40 years on the road)? Never worn a helmet,has always useda mirror(s)

Against my advice: some European cities have a reputation for theft: Barcelona. Naples?
                             If I was riding some £4K job and had worked many hours in order to buy that cycle and ride,I might be considering buying x4 3kgs New York Thudbuster anti-grinder U locks ;)

martinf

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2022, 11:08:51 am »
Rural France somewhere near Digne-les-Bains: stayed at modest-but-nice hotel in a village-town of about 8,000. Put bikes towards back of hotel as directed by employee,bagan to lock them...employee said 'this isnt Liverpool here you know  ;). They wont go missing.

Most times you would be Ok. But if the place where you left the bikes is not behind a locked gate or door, even in a calm town you could still lose a bike from someone who has had a few drinks and "borrows" the bike to get home.

That happened to a visitor to our island flat who left a (rented) bike unlocked outside during the night. The bike was never found, it was probably dumped, maybe in the sea. After that I fitted frame locks to our visitor bikes, a frame lock is always there and takes seconds to lock or unlock.

I reckon that if you have bothered to carry a lock you may as well use it.

navrig

« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2022, 11:12:35 am »
Locks - I have had a look on line and some of those D-locks are huge and will be a nightmare to carry.  Going to a smaller one takes away some of the functionality of a D-lock as it won't be long enough to go round a fixed object like a bike rack.  So I am going for an Abus padlock and Abus coated wire, both of which I already own and use for securing bikes to the roof rack.

Mirrors - I'll choose one and see how it goes.  It it's really crap I'll pop into a Decathlon enroute and get something different.

Kick stand - I suspect I won't fir one and will simply look for a nearby wall.

As someone said earlier in this thread most choices are a compromise of some sort or another.

Next thing to look for is a tool pouch or tool roll.  Looking at this

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/luggageluggage-accessories/roswheel-offroad-tool-pouch-1-litre/?geoc=IT

UKTony

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2022, 10:01:55 pm »

John Saxby

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2022, 02:03:35 am »
I use one of these: https://www.topeak.com/global/en/product/129-AERO-WEDGE-PACK

The Large size is about 2 litres.  Cost in eastern Ontario is usually around Cdn $35 - 40.

I rarely use it in its expanded format.  It fits nicely between my saddle and the tent on my Mercury's rear rack.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2022, 03:24:48 am »
Having ridden in a LOT of rain, I always value a seat-mounted tool bag that is truly waterproof, so I prefer the roll-top Ortlieb Underseat Bag in either Medium or Large size. They offer a variety of similar bags in their product line. These larger bags can roll down pretty small or expand to take other things depending on size, like wind jackets, 3/4 leggings, some energy bars, etc.

I used to use bags made of coated nylon but with various openings like zippers. Sadly, I found despite packaging my tools inside zip-top bags inside the tool bags, vibration caused wear-through combined with leakage of rainwater resulted in rusty tools. The roll-top Orts have been the perfect solution for my more frequently used tools. The specialized tools needed only for longer tools or emergencies are stored separately in the bottom of a pannier (along with a spare folding tire for long tours).

Best,

Dan.

PH

« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2022, 09:27:50 am »
The roll-top Orts have been the perfect solution for my more frequently used tools. The specialized tools needed only for longer tools or emergencies are stored separately in the bottom of a pannier (along with a spare folding tire for long tours).

Best,

Dan.
My bags are different but the principal the same - Puncture kit and small multitool (Or a couple of smaller individual tools) are somewhere I can get at them instantly, less likely tools and spares at the bottom of a pannier.  Not wishing to tempt fate, but I don't recall ever needing the main tool kit at the roadside for my own bike, I've used/lent it to others a couple of times and for some maintenance between rides, so it doesn't need to be so easily accessible.

navrig

« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2022, 10:31:52 am »
I use one of these: https://www.topeak.com/global/en/product/129-AERO-WEDGE-PACK

The Large size is about 2 litres.  Cost in eastern Ontario is usually around Cdn $35 - 40.

I rarely use it in its expanded format.  It fits nicely between my saddle and the tent on my Mercury's rear rack.

I have had several of these (and smaller versions)over the years for my other bikes.  I will probably take one with a tube and tyre levers with larger tools in the other bag.

Consider these and save yourself a penny or two.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/354331361895?epid=2256113733&hash=item527fcb8267:g:SRYAAOSwKi1jSBVd&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAA4EBNJ1jfL8XNym%2Fo32iiJXwul8n4PH%2ByNH9axuwSz%2B48Y09WyI4uevVZua1BnBNvd7vvImzzmolXWhVxLSW0PQ5hVWD8el19wjWd4fXHiljxujw6zobMNz6WJyIRjBANQVLvzV%2BQ25uhZOSJYJVJaMqzrIhDhwIYRJIBfVcH0oktkwipVfFIK%2FsM0lhr1e7%2FGqmwKU181vGXRPC3NBwbhVsY441jjbGLafvV1WreRpPfxT6Sy%2FHEDAlXAwI5JlWJ1Hm9WLuj5xlx3L170z0pF1hw5kLxGSh%2BO8BIkQZy7ddq%7Ctkp%3ABFBM5q_e94dh

There’s a ‘small’ one about 22cmx15x7 and a larger one 28x15x7. Either should fit snugly at the bottom of one of your panniers. Velcro dividers. Will take a couple of inner tubes + sundry tools and other small things.🙂

Thanks for this.   I have a couple similar containers bought for cameras and portable speakers.  Maybe I can re-provision.  Good suggestion.

in4

« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2022, 11:11:05 am »
Think Andy Blance also used a fishing-type bag for his tools. Might be in mega brochure?

mickeg

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2022, 12:15:42 pm »
When touring I have my spare tubes (2), a patch kit, a couple disposable plastic gloves (like medical gloves), and a 5mm allen wrench in a small bag on my bike where it is easy to get to.  That said, I have only had one puncture on a bike tour, so having it handy was not that important but I always keep it handy anyway.  The triangular bag strapped on my seatpost and top tube in the photo has my spare tubes.

I usually have my pump (usually tour with a Lezyne Micro Floor Drive) strapped to the frame, but if I was in a high crime area it would instead be in a pannier.  I would not want a good expensive pump to disappear while I am in a store.

And my tools and spares bag is a nylon zipper bag that is buried in the bottom of a pannier because the likelihood of needing it during the day while riding is minimal and because it is heavy so lower is better for center of gravity.

I think the tool pouch cost only a few dollars.  You do not need anything too fancy for that.  To keep the internals organized, zip lock baggies are great for that.

The only maintenance or spares item that fits in the category of needing to use it frequently is my chain lube, I keep that in my handlebar bag so that it is easy to get out when I think of it.  I also keep a tiny little minimal multitool in a pocket if I need to adjust something or tighten a bolt, my more robust complete multitool is in my tool bag.

il padrone

« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2022, 12:57:51 pm »
Having ridden in a LOT of rain, I always value a seat-mounted tool bag that is truly waterproof, so I prefer the roll-top Ortlieb Underseat Bag in either Medium or Large size...

...I used to use bags made of coated nylon but with various openings like zippers. Sadly, I found despite packaging my tools inside zip-top bags inside the tool bags, vibration caused wear-through combined with leakage of rainwater resulted in rusty tools. The roll-top Orts have been the perfect solution for my more frequently used tools. The specialized tools needed only for longer tools or emergencies are stored separately in the bottom of a pannier (along with a spare folding tire for long tours).

This is my exact same experience with tool storage and transport for tours - except I am fine with a small Ortlieb seat-pack for my day-ride tours. The bigger tool-kit, used for club group rides, sits in the bottom of one front pannier. It has been through a series of iterations - a draw-string synthetic 'leather' bag (wore out rapidly), tool-roll stitched up in old denim (good life but wore holes), a zippered rectangular cordura fabric packing case (got awfully grungy), and then a standard large pencil-case (grease-tub leaked all through it and the zipper broke). It is now stored in a robust Jack Stillman waxed canvas tool-roll.

https://www.jackstillman.com.au/products/f1-waxed-canvas-tool-roll
« Last Edit: November 25, 2022, 01:07:32 pm by il padrone »