Author Topic: total weight limit nomad mk2 with 26" wheel rolhoff hub  (Read 1339 times)

kurtfraser70@hotmail.com

total weight limit nomad mk2 with 26" wheel rolhoff hub
« on: March 31, 2022, 08:42:01 pm »
tried looking on the site. I' m heavy 230 lbs and would carry about 45 lbs.  Was wondering what the upper weight limit would be with rider, equipment and bike?

thanks in advance for any help.

mickeg

Re: total weight limit nomad mk2 with 26" wheel rolhoff hub
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2022, 02:57:36 am »
Bottom part of Page 22 of the sales brochure Issue 20, Fall 2012 lists the weight capacity based on frame size.  Other versions of the sales brochure might have this on a different page.

I do not recall where on the internet the sales brochures are.  Someone might see this comment and respond.

I would not worry about 275 pounds.  I probably had a bit over that in the photo attached, I am roughly 180 pounds and probably had a bit over 100 pounds of gear on the bike at the time of the photo.

I believe that the weight capacities listed in the brochure are the load, excluding the weight of the rider.  My size frame at 590M is listed at 62kg with 20 kg in front panniers, 3kg in handlebar bag, rear panniers and three water bottle cages.

At your weight you would be over the 100kg chainring to sprocket size ratio.  I assume you already knew that, but if not, I thought I should mention it.
That is covered at this link:
https://www.rohloff.de/en/service/handbook/speedhub/technical-data#c25679

Under the topic of "Smallest Permissible Sprocket Ratios (solo 100kg)"

I pasted this from that web page:
The following sprocket ratios must not be undercut if the SPEEDHUB is used by a rider weighing more than 100kg, or mounted on a tandem application:  53:21, 48:19,  45:18, 42:17, 40:16, 38:15
This equates to a transmission factor of 2.50.

ADDENDUM:
I took another look at the brochure, on page 21 in lower right corner it said (pasted):

Luggage capacity.
In the matrix on page 22, I give
absolute maximum luggage
capacities for each size, please note
that, I have assumed that 20Kg would
be carried at the front. 20Kg is the
maximum load for the fork; whilst it
is safe to ride with 20Kg on the forks,
I wouldn’t want to do it day after day!
In the text on this page, I give lower
maximum figures, these are based on
only carrying 10kg on the fork.
The bikes are so much nicer to ride
with just 10Kg on the fork.
They are even nicer to ride if 10Kg
15Kg less is carried at the back.
Doesn’t that sound enough tom you?
Please consider that many cyclists
overestimate how much weight they
actually carry, or need to carry.
Having the capability of adding up to
25Kg to your load, allows you to carry
up to 25 litres of extra water if you
have to climb out of the Atacama,
cross the Nullarbor, or pedal through
water-bourn disease affected areas.

So, it is clear that the values in the table on page 22 are for luggage capacities, thus exclude weight of bike and rider.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2022, 03:08:24 am by mickeg »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2022, 05:40:32 am »
I do not recall where on the internet the sales brochures are.  Someone might see this comment and respond.
See...
http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=6975.0

:)

Best,

Dan.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen

martinf

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2022, 08:12:56 am »
You should be OK with a Nomad.

My maximum all-up touring weight - bike, luggage and rider - was 123 Kg (about 271 pounds).

That was on a converted mountain-bike, so a less sturdy frame than the Nomad, with fairly lightweight Mavic rims and old Karrimor racks, which are much less rigid than the Thorn racks I now have. On that trip I mainly used roads, but I did some off-road riding on rocky tracks.

I would advise Thorn racks, or perhaps Tubus. These are made from tubular steel so they are rigid, which reduces instability with heavy loads.

I would also advise using heavy-duty wide rims if you can get them, combined with the widest tyres that will fit.