Community > Thorn General

Thorn Nomad 537L (Frame no 06002) ?????

(1/2) > >>

jack1:
My Thorn nomad 537L (Frame no 06002 ) is it a Mk1 or Mk2 ??? Thanks

mickeg:
Without photo or color it is hard to say.

If my recollection is correct, the Mk II has a reinforcing piece of metal welded under the downtube to the head tube that I think is not on the Mk I.

I am not sure if the Mk I was available without S&S couplers or not, every Mk I photo I have seen had couplers.  But couplers are expensive, most Mk II lack them but it was an option on Mk II.

The above are my guesses on the difference but I could be wrong.  Perhaps others could confirm if these guesses are correct?  I built up my Mk II in 2013, since then I have not given much study to versions that predate mine.

UKTony:
If the frame size stated is correct then it’s almost certainly not a Mk 2 Nomad because the frame sizing of  the latter never included a 537L - 540L yes but 537L no. The significance of the frame number is something I can’t help with - maybe try Thorn Cycles if others on the forum can’t assist.
The original Nomad was a derailleur bike, then in the early 2000s Thorns started developing frames for the Rohloff hub. The next iteration of the Nomad was the Raven Nomad S&S the first batches of which all came with S&S couplers. The Mark 2, introduced in about ? 2010/2011?, I think, marked a change in the frame geometry to accommodate the option of a suss fork. S&S couplers also became optional. Colours also limited to Matt black and Tonka Yellow. Looking at pictures of predecessors to the Mk 2 Nomad online I think Mickeg is correct about the strengthening fillet between the steerer tube and down tube as a distinguishing feature of the Mk2.
All this gleaned from brief histories I’ve read in Thorn marketing literature.

mickeg:
Another bit of clarification, as noted by UKTony, the Nomad initially was a derailleur bike.  Then the Rohloff versions were the Mk I and Mk II, and now the Mk III.  Some people assume that the derailleur version is a Mk I, which is not correct, it lacked a Mk version designation.

I do not like to rely too much on serial numbers for models, serial numbers usually correlate to a size, however my Nomad Mk II serial number suggests that it is a size 585 but it was sold as a size 590M.

jack1:
Hi,thanks for your message regarding my (Thorn nomad) Mk1 or Mk2 ??? I’m still hoping if I can get a positive answer. But thank you so much to all who have contacted me.👍🚴

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version