Community > Thorn General

Nomad Mk3 Rohloff 650b weight limit ?

(1/2) > >>

Chris2020:
Hello,
This question may be a bit late now as I already own and love my Nomad Mk3 Rohloff 650b.
This build comes with, as standard, Ryde rival 26 rims. On the "bulid6" broschure it sates the overall weight limit is 160kg (not sure if that includes bike weight or not) http://www.sjscycles.com/thornpdf/BUILD6NOMAD650bROHLOFF.pdf

Yet on the rim specifications (both on sjs website and the Ryde) the max system weight limit is 120kg.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/rims-tape/ryde-rival-26-275-584-all-mountain-disc-rim-black/

What was the point of buying a Nomad if the weight limit is only 120kg? Surely if that is the case you would be better advised going for a Mercury?
I remember reading somewhere in the bible that they choose these rims rather than going with the stronger andra rim which would push the weight up too much and impact on ride quality. If that's the case what would be a total bomb proof & light weight (if such a thing exists) 650b rim to choose instead that could handle the intended carrying weight of the Nomad? (assuming money is no object (it is though, but i have no plans to replace my rims right now; so for the time being it's a purely hypothetical question))
I have regularly (almost daily) pushed that 120kg limit. but I am wondering if, when the time comes, I venture further afield, can I have confidence in the wheels holding out?
Actually, thinking about it a 120kg limit only leaves 20kg for luggage (80kg my weight + ~20kg bike + 20kg luggage) which is really nothing when you are the pack mule for a family of 5 on cycle camp tour.
Anyway maybe I am worrying about nothing it has seemed to have performed flawlessly so far....
Thanks for your thoughts,
Chris

PH:
I recall reading last year, when researching cargo bikes, that very few rims are rated beyond 120kg as until recently there was no independent testing that offered it.
I see from your link that the rims are rated for speed pedalec and MTB, it doesn't say what use the 120kg applies to, maybe it's MTBing in a speed pedalac! I wouldn't worry about it, I haven't looked at the rating for my rims, I suspect at times I'll be well beyond it, maybe ignorance is bliss, I know I've never had a problem.  Having seen plenty of muscular riders throwing bikes with race rims around rough CX courses, I'd have no qualms about a well built, with any touring rim, in an un-dished wheel, protected by a big tyre, being a bit (Even a lot) overweight.   

Chris2020:
Indeed…ignorance is bliss. Thanks! that has me reassured; I will try it out on the next CX course I happen upon :)

mickeg:
Generically I assume that the spokes are more important than the rim for weight capacity.  But this is the first time that I noticed any rims were rated for weight capacity.

I do not know if Rohloff still talks about how strong their undished wheels are compared to dished wheels, but they used to brag that a 32 spoke Rohloff wheel was stronger than a dished derailleur bike wheel with a lot more spokes.  That was their justification for not offering more than 32 spoke hubs. 

Shortly before I built up my Nomad Mk II, Rohloff started to offer 36 spoke hubs too, that is what I bought.  So, I do not know if they still talk about dished vs undished for strength like they used to.  And I am too lazy to do an internet search.

When I bought my Nomad Mk II, that was rated for "max load" using front and rear panniers, handlebar bag and three water bottle cages, rated for 62kg (size 590M).  I took that as total weight minus weight of rider and minus weight of bike since the word "load" was used and I do not think of "load" as including the weight of the bike itself.  I have probably had close to 45 or maybe 50 kg on it at most, that was with two and a half weeks of food on it.  I weigh roughly 80 kg, so that 62 kg number better not include me.

When Thorn advertises their rack at only 40kg if M5 bolts are used but 60 kg when using M6 bolts, while this says nothing about the rim it is an indication that Thorn expects some of their bikes to carry a substantial load.
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/carriers-racks/thorn-expedition-steel-rear-cycle-pannier-rack-black-powdercoat/

martinf:
Should be OK, with a fat tyre to protect the rim.

But I would have chosen something else for heavily loaded touring, for example the Ryde Andra 40 sold by Thorn is rated for a max load of 180 kg.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version