Community > Thorn General

Is anyone else like me?

(1/2) > >>

Inbred:
Is anyone else like me?
I'll probably never go on an epic bike tour. I just own a Thorn bike because I love it!
I know it's built for much more ambitious stuff & it may be a bit wasted on me.
Does that matter?

Matt2matt2002:

--- Quote from: Inbred on March 16, 2022, 09:16:05 am ---Is anyone else like me?
I'll probably never go on an epic bike tour. I just own a Thorn bike because I love it!
Does that matter?

--- End quote ---

Does it matter?
What a great philosophical question.

Indeed, what does really matter?
Less is more?

I'll trot out the ol' one about the number of bikes to have; n+1.

I've been lucky to tour abroad a few times on my Raven but the majority of its miles/ time is spent as a local run around.
And I'm pleased to report, we're both very happy.

And happiness is a good (IMO) goal.

Love is one of the few things that doubles when shared.

PH:
I think that's normal!
I doubt many bikes get used to their potential, race bikes that don't, Audax bikes likewise, Expedition that never go anywhere adventurous.... OTOH, many of the people that go on such adventures do so on quite low spec bikes...
Is it a waste? Only if you somehow thought you needed it, even more a waste if someone felt restricted by not having the right bike.
If a bike meets your expectations, it's far from wasted, important thing is it's for you to judge.  Likewise, if a bike doesn't meet them, it isn't for anyone else to tell you it should.  I'm sometimes guilty of that, though usually on the basis that the improvements won't materialise, rather than they shouldn't do it.   

mickeg:
I have done some epic trips, plan to do more.

But probably 90 percent of the distance I ride on a bike is either exercise rides or errands near home. 

My Thorn Sherpa is in storage and probably only going to be used on tours in the future because I have plenty of other bikes, but my Thorn Nomad Mk II gets a lot of use near home.  Of all my bikes, that one takes the widest tires at 57mm, and there are some bike trails near my home that often have soft gravel, that is the best bike I have for that.  Yes I could buy a really light weight new mountain bike that would be better, but the Nomad Mk II is good enough, so that is the one I use for that.

tyreon:

--- Quote from: Inbred on March 16, 2022, 09:16:05 am ---Is anyone else like me?
Does that matter?

--- End quote ---
Nah. You've given yourself a treat. You've ridden it,or are about to ride it. You havent wasted your money on a jet. Nor murdered anyone. Youve got a good machine. Others may look upon it and pst good comment. Its not overkill,as like buying a massive SUV to go to the local Tesco. After a time you can resell,or pass it on. I never went OTT on the bikes I got. Have done some touring both here and abroad. Couldve done more,but I dont see it as a competition. You probably made the right decision for you at that time getting the bike. I'm still trying to work out this living business: what is the right decision at one time can work out the wrong decision at a later time. It also works the other way. OT but related: my mother lived at the top of a block of flats without any lift. What kept her fit and healthy was the exercise. Fit into a healthy older age. Then,on added years,the steps with the shopping,became a curse as she became more unable to get out. I dont think many of us can have it all ways: even our Royals.  Much earlier on I wanted all sortsa bikes...but then to ride them I would have had to be one them all day,and probably divorced. As was,I proably had 1/2 more than the next man,but less than one more than 'committed'. I think I'm okay with it now. I think we only come this away once,twice or more if you are a rebirther. Take the middle path

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version