Community > Member's Gallery

1990s 26" wheel Expedition, not for the purist

(1/1)

Mark Manley:
I bought this frameset a few years ago although I have not been able to identify the exact model or year, I believe it is an extra small audax Expedition, in theory too small for me but I like an upright position and I have managed to get my ideal comfortable set up. It was built as a supermarket, pub hack but I enjoy riding it so much it often takes presidence over the more hi tech, multi geared disc braked bikes I could choose from for leisure rides.

The wheels have 1930s Sturmey Archer 3 speed drum brake 32/40 spoke hubs laced up with Ryde rims and Schwalbe balloon tyres, I replaced all of the corroded hub parts with stainless steel replacements I machined up and had the hubs powder coated. seatpost, stem and bars are Kalloy with modern SA cranks and rebuilt vintage Raleigh pedals topped of with a vintage Brooks saddle.

My first adult sized bicycle was a Raleigh Sports and I have badged it up as one in homage.

Its first build as an outright Sports homage. 

And how it is now.

John Saxby:
Nice work, Mark.

How do you manage without mudguards?

Can't get over the greenery!  When were your photos taken?  We're a day before the equinox here in Ottawa (Canada), and there's still 20+ cms of snow in our backyard...

Cheers,  John

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version