Private Classified > Wanted

Thorn Mercury wanted

<< < (2/2)

JohnR:

--- Quote from: PH on March 09, 2022, 08:47:43 am ---that wasn't what I was suggesting, the Alfine has many attributes, but would be a pretty poor substitute for someone looking for a Rohloff.

--- End quote ---
That's also my thinking. I tried bikes with the Alfine 8 and then the Alfine 11 before ending up with Rohloff because the Alfines lacked the gearing range I wanted. However, the Alfine would be fine for test riding a bike to find out if the size and ride were OK before embarking on a rebuild. Last week, out of curiosity, I added up the corrent cost of parts to build my Mercury and came to just over £3k.

Tomoverthehill:
Thanks for the offer.  I maybe over in Derbyshire later this months, so I may take the opportunity to call in and have a look.   I can't help thinking that by the time I have bought a Rohloff at the current price of £1275 for the bare hub, plus all the other odds and ends needed, then the total cost will be getting up towards the cost of a new bike.   The last couple of Mercurys went on Ebay for about £2000, second hand, one of them virtually new.   
I am doing LejOG in September, hence the need for something that is both comfortable and reliable.  My present bike has a Shimano Deore 3 x 10 setup, while it gives  me a wide range, chains only last about 4 months and cassettes 8 months before gear selection becomes unreliable.

PH:

--- Quote from: Tomoverthehill on March 09, 2022, 02:32:48 pm --- I can't help thinking that by the time I have bought a Rohloff at the current price of £1275 for the bare hub, plus all the other odds and ends needed, then the total cost will be getting up towards the cost of a new bike.   The last couple of Mercurys went on Ebay for about £2000, second hand, one of them virtually new.   
--- End quote ---
Hubs have shot up in price, like everything else! my youngest one was £1,050 less than two years ago.  I think the right hub for a Mercury is £1,200 so add another £100 for it to be built into a wheel and that's about right.
My scribbled down estimate to bring it to the usual sort of spec, new tyres, mudguards, Thorn chainset, better bars and bar ends,  would probably save you 900 - 1000 over the equivalent spec new.  As I said in the original post, it's not bargain basement, still a very expensive bike, but you would have a new hub with the usual reassurances that provides, plus a lot of the other kit is almost new...
I hope that doesn't sound like a hard sell!  I'm making the case why it might suit you, though I'd easily accept that it might not.

--- Quote ---I maybe over in Derbyshire later this months, so I may take the opportunity to call in and have a look.
--- End quote ---
If you give me a bit of notice, I can swap wheels and you can try it with a Rohloff.  Plenty of nice riding round here.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version