Technical > Transmission

New integrated BB Electric Motor & Auto Gearbox

<< < (2/2)

Andre Jute:

--- Quote from: PH on February 20, 2022, 10:37:33 am ---
--- Quote from: Andre Jute on February 19, 2022, 07:11:30 pm ---it's a doddle giving an electric motor as many faux "gears" as its power spread will support, the limit being ridicule from experienced cyclists rather than mechanics or electrics. For flat utility riding, I don't see that a gearbox or derailleurs are necessary even at 250W. Which is why I say the gearbox above will do very well with its seven gears.
--- End quote ---

Do you think that's the case with this motor?  I'd assumed they were "real" gears.
--- End quote ---

Yes, I too assumed they were seven real gears and the journalist was merely too limited for space or green about electric bikes to ask about the programmed progressions of power between the "hard" gears.

--- Quote from: PH on February 20, 2022, 10:37:33 am --- My experience is that keeping the motor spinning at a reasonable speed is the best way to optimise the power capacity.  As you say, it's the riding experience that matters and as I may have said before I've met several people on E-bikes who would not have considered using a non assist, I'm sure they have little interest in how it works, just that it does.

--- Quote ---Someone who expects a day's work out of an E-bike better keep two such batteries on the charger overnight, and keep the spare in an accessible place, because double the amp-hours on the bike would be too heavy. Under such a solicitous regime, the life of even a well-used battery won't be infinite, but should be quite a few years. There's an alternative, of course: resign yourself to buying a new battery every year or perhaps two, and just run it down every day, like you would empty a car's petrol tank. You'll know when the time comes to replace it, or switch to the scheme above, when towards the end of every day you are pedaling along an extra 14-25 pounds of dead battery.
--- End quote ---
I was very tempted to buy a R&M Supercharger which does have a dual battery option, once you get into such heavy machines the weight of an extra battery is less significant.  I had to remind myself this was a commercial decision and let my head rule my heart and buy something at less than half the price! I start the day with two fully charged batteries, but don't carry the spare. I'm rarely five miles away from it, 4 out of 5 days I don't need both, but if I've used more than half and I'm passing that way, I'll swap them anyway, I also use in rotation which I'm hoping will prolong their life.  I'm not that bothered, this kit pays for itself, what feels like a luxury of not having to be too concerned about usage, also has commercial justification.

--- End quote ---

All of this is valuable information/possible operating protocols for anyone who uses an electric bike for earning a living, or just regular recreation or health riding. I'm sure your two-battery, half-power-remains switchover regime is sensible and will prove beneficial to battery life and range, and probably in the long term, maybe even the medium run amount to quite a bit of money saved. It depends on the speed at which the price of battery cells (and to a lesser extent the crucial controller boards) falls from the current exorbitant price.There's also competition from cars for the available quality cells, which is another morass of guesstimates.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version