Technical > Transmission

Touring and quicklink

(1/4) > >>

navrig:
My new bike is currently being built and I expect to collect it in a few weeks.

I am a roadie and all of my bikes are run with a quicklink.  It is easier for general maintenance and deep cleaning of the chain.

What is the view of the touring world on quicklinks?

I have the chance to have on installed as part of the build.

steve216c:
Are you talking about on an internal gear hub (e.g. Rohloff/Alfine/Sturmey Archer) or on derailleur geared bike?

My personal experience is that I have had one quicklink fail on a derailleur bike. Chain came detached at quicklink but I could never establish the cause as one part of the link was missing and I couldn't see where it was. I fixed it using chain tool and made a permanent linked chain.

On my Rohloff bike I use Connex 808 chain with their quicklink. I lost/misplaced my link one time cleaning the chain after removing it but had a used spare I had saved from an old chain as a get me home link. That same Connex 808 is 150km shy of 14,000 km and the Connex made quick link has remained reliable throughout with the replacement used one serving the last 9000km.

I cannot comment on other brands the quicklink failure I mentioned was not on a Connex. But since then I have Connex 808 on all my bikes. What I like about their link is that you can remove and refit it without tools due to their clever design.

John Saxby:
I have used quicklinks on my Sram & KMC chains for the past 20 years. Never had any problems with any of them, but I always keep an extra in my toolkit. Note, though: the various links can be re-used, but may not be interchangeable across brands or models. So, if you keep a spare in your toolkit, make sure it's compatible with whatever is on the bike.

Andre Jute:
The Connex quicklinks are known to be good. In days gone by, when I used white wax on my chains, I always kept some Connex quicklinks to hand and used them with whatever cr@p chain the LBS had. This was before my patience with the LBS ran out and I decided to educate myself about bicycles. Never had a Connex quicklink fail in the eighteen years I used them.

Later a KMC chain was highly recommended by a bicycle manufacturer in Germany who had everything they fitted tested to destruction. KMC quicklinks are highly recommended and one comes with each of their chains suitable for Rohloff installations (perhaps with all their chains). I've never had a KMC quick link fail in the thirteen or so years I've used them. Be careful if you buy spares though: there are two thicknesses of KMC eight-speed chains, with two corresponding thicknesses of quicklinks, of which only the thinner one is suitable for the Hebie Chainglider, which sooner or later many tourers want to marry, and which cuts down maintenance, in my case to nothing because I run the KMC X8 chain inside a Hebie Chainglider on the factory lube for its entire service life. (In order not to let this useful thread on quicklinks slide away into a Chainglider beanfest, please make any remarks and ask any questions about Chaingliders and/or factory lube schemes at http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=6813.msg42349#msg42349.)

I definitely recommend that you have a quick link fitted to either a Connex or KMC chain on your new bike, and order one or two spare quicklinks to be supplied with the bike as insurance against loss. Chances are that the spares are merely a supernatural insurance against ever needing them -- the other day, cleaning out the toolbag on my bike, I came across a quicklink wrapped in a receipt dated 2008 from a shop in a coastal town 80 miles away that I don't remember visiting that year, with a pencilled note, "Other one fitted to Matilda's bike at Kilmacsimon Quay,"-- don't remember who this Matilda who rode with us is either, maybe just a cyclist with a broken chain we found on the road; "other one" because the KMC quicklinks are sold as spares in pairs.

There are some quicklinks I don't consider worth having, like the Shimano single-use boutique items, but there's probably someone here who'll champion them.

Happy days with your new bike!

martinf:

--- Quote from: steve216c on February 15, 2022, 01:49:38 PM ---My personal experience is that I have had one quicklink fail on a derailleur bike. Chain came detached at quicklink but I could never establish the cause as one part of the link was missing and I couldn't see where it was. I fixed it using chain tool and made a permanent linked chain.
--- End quote ---

Also had a quick link (SRAM in my case) fail on a derailleur bike several years ago. After that I stopped using quick links with derailleurs.

A few months ago, because I was hardly ever using it, I converted my last remaining derailleur bike to use an S5/2 hub gear. So I no longer have any derailleurs in service on the family bikes, at least for now.

Not had any problems with quicklinks on hub gear bikes, but I don't always fit them, sometimes I just use a chain tool.

I have a Rohloff chain tool which has a setting that is supposed to reform the rivet when joining the chain in order to prevent it from breaking at the joining point.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version