Author Topic: EBay Nomad 585M/590M S&S  (Read 3855 times)

in4

« Last Edit: February 14, 2022, 05:26:37 pm by in4 »

mickeg

Re: EBay Nomad 580M/590M S&S
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2022, 04:18:11 pm »
The Ebay post says it is size 585M also known as 590M.

I bought mine as a 590M, but my serial number suggests that it is a 585, that probably is why the confusion on size.

ourclarioncall

Re: EBay Nomad 585M/590M S&S
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2022, 10:11:35 pm »
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Thorn-Nomad-MK2-S-S-Coupling-Rohloff-Touring-Expedition-Travel-Bike-Bicycle-/224837201037?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Wasn’t there a member er, Clarion looking for one this size?

Pick up only Newport, S. Wales

My eyes lit up when I saw this post 😄 then I thought , wonder when this was posted and saw it was today. I was just on eBay in the last few days but haven’t looked today. I will now !

mickeg

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2022, 10:41:30 pm »
My eyes lit up when I saw this post 😄 then I thought , wonder when this was posted and saw it was today. I was just on eBay in the last few days but haven’t looked today. I will now !

If you get it, you might want to look at this thread on S&S couplers.
http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=14501.0

And if you get it, ask if the S&S wrench comes with it, that would save you from having to buy one.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2022, 11:07:41 pm »
...ask if the S&S wrench comes with it...
It does! :) According to the last photo in the eBay ad listing, the wrench is included as well as spare spokes/nipples and paperwork including a Rohloff owner's manual.

Best,

Dan.

ourclarioncall

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2022, 02:22:16 pm »

If you get it, you might want to look at this thread on S&S couplers.
http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=14501.0

And if you get it, ask if the S&S wrench comes with it, that would save you from having to buy one.

Thanks ! Good read . Lot to think about

I’m really not sure about the SS couplers. One minute i really like the idea, next minute I can get my mind . Hmmm, not sure.

Last thing I heard was Thorn are due new stock in March , so might wait for a Nomad Mk3 since I’ve been waiting so long anyway.

mickeg

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2022, 07:43:54 pm »
If you would not be using the S&S couplers, then just make sure they are tight and stay that way.  It would be best to check to make sure there is no dirt in the threads first, and greased.  If you are not using them, maybe the special grease is not needed because you would not be disassembling the couplers.

Often people do not get their money back on the couplers if they sell a bike that has them because most people would never use them, thus would not perceive any value from them.

There is one thing I would prefer on the Mk III, the fact that I could have a derailleur hanger, even if I built it up with a Roholff.  Oops, one more thing, the canti posts on the fork are up front instead of behind the fork, I would prefer that.

But the Mk II had the couplers as an option and that was a high priority for me.  And after I bought the Mk II, that is when I realized it can be nice to fit a 100mm suspension fork to that frame.

For me, the Mk II is preferred.  But everyone has different priorities, you need to assess your priorities.  And the Mk II is likely cheaper being used.  And the Mk III would be under factory warranty.

ourclarioncall

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2022, 11:02:24 pm »
Thanks

Yeah, I like both the mk2 and mk3 and waver on which one .

I’m slightly leaning to mk3 as I like the bottom bracket better than the mk3. The Ed coating , the belt option , the derailiur (can’t spell ) option . The only thing I don’t like is I can’t get it in black !!  That’s partly why I would take a mk2 haha. The mk2 was my first love tho. Knew nothing about touring bikes and somehow found the mk2 and loved the look, the strength etc.

mickeg

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2022, 10:37:40 am »
If you bought that used Mk II and decided later you wanted to sell it, you would not lose much money, perhaps none because you already bought it as a used bike at a used price.

The Mk III, if you went to sell it later, it would be a used bike, not sure if the warranty transfers or not, I usually assume it does not.  Thus, if you bought the Mk III and were unhappy, there would be an additional financial penalty to sell a used bike after you paid new price.

ourclarioncall

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2022, 01:26:33 pm »
If you bought that used Mk II and decided later you wanted to sell it, you would not lose much money, perhaps none because you already bought it as a used bike at a used price.

The Mk III, if you went to sell it later, it would be a used bike, not sure if the warranty transfers or not, I usually assume it does not.  Thus, if you bought the Mk III and were unhappy, there would be an additional financial penalty to sell a used bike after you paid new price.

Very true , good point . A used bike is saving a big chunk of money .

PH

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2022, 08:49:49 pm »

You could always hang on till the MkIII's are sold of cheap when they introduce the MkIV, by then Black maybe back in fashion. 

ourclarioncall

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2022, 10:06:43 pm »

You could always hang on till the MkIII's are sold of cheap when they introduce the MkIV, by then Black maybe back in fashion.

Hahaha

😅

mickeg

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2022, 12:00:30 am »
Or, the Mk V?

ourclarioncall

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2022, 11:50:13 am »
In the political world You’ve heard of BLM

In the fitness world we now have BBM 😊

Mike Ayling