Author Topic: Schwalbe Dureme question  (Read 2099 times)

in4

Schwalbe Dureme question
« on: September 09, 2023, 12:18:03 pm »
I’ve a pair of Duremes fitted. 26x2. I’ve had them stored for 4-5 years. One on the rear wheel is fitted ok.The front is a problem. I’ve tried all the usual methods but cannot get the tyre to seat properly. I know the reflective strip is nothing other than indicative so don’t refer to that. My wheel is straight and doesn’t need trueing. Looking at the wheel/tyre from the side I’ve an obvious ‘bobble’ extending over circa 6 ins. I’m thinking that the tyre has become distorted after being kept  in its box for so long. With hindsight perhaps I should have stored it differently, I’ll know in future.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2023, 12:32:49 pm by in4 »

UKTony

Re: Schwalbe Dureme question
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2023, 12:48:04 pm »
I’ve struggled with Duremes and 26x1.6 supremes. I don’t know what usual methods you’ve tried but the only way I’ve succeeded is to lightly apply Fairy Liquid (other liquid soaps might be suitable) with my fingers around the inside seating area on both sides of the rim and the edges of the tyre beads and pump up to a higher, though not dangerous 😳pressure which usually works.

in4

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2023, 12:58:05 pm »
Thanks Tony. I’ll give the liquid soap another go and pump to circa 5 bar again. I’m still thinking the tyre is distorted ( the other of the pair was not stored in its box but loosely and sits fine on the wheel) Both took a bit of getting on but they ain’t lightweight tyres. Here we go, again.

UKTony

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2023, 01:11:39 pm »
Fingers crossed it’s not permanently distorted - Duremes are now a valuable commodity!
The symptom in your photo is how mine have frequently ended up after a lot of effort but eventually I do manage to get them on so the reflective strip is reasonably evenly spaced around the rim.

in4

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2023, 01:53:40 pm »
A few beads of sweat later!
I think the tyre is pre-stressed from being in its delivery box for so long. The ‘bobble’ is in almost exactly the same place either side of the tyre. However, I’ve made progress! I think it’s a case of repeat, repeat repeat. Each time I’ve used a tiny drop of shower gel ( Forest scent 😉) pumped to as near as 5 bar as I can get, then repeated the process. It’s incremental but seems to be working. 🤞

I remember buying the Duremes as they were becoming scarce and expensive so I’m pleased I’ll get the use out of them. The ride feel is quite different to the Mondials I had previously. For tougher terrain  the Mondials have the edge but the Duremes come a very close second as an all round tough tyre.
Hmm wonder if I can get Imperial Stout scented shower gel? 😆
Thanks Tony, appreciated.

martinf

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2023, 05:11:58 pm »
I use this stuff :

Schwalbe Easy Fit Mounting Fluid 50ml https://www.bike24.com/p25556.html

It works about the same as diluted washing-up liquid but is a bit quicker to use, slightly cleaner and a lot more expensive.

The sponge on the little applicator in the link is convenient, but tears off after a few uses. So I bought the 1 litre workshop bottle and use a paintbrush for quick application when mounting a new tyre.

Probably only worth it if mounting tyres often, at one time I was doing this about once every 3-5 weeks when doing a survey contract with a Brompton. Small tyres wear out faster.

With some tyres I have to deflate, run my fingers around the tyre on both sides and repeat the application. On the other hand, some tyre/rim combinations don't need the mounting fluid at all.

And if I am at home I place the tyre horizontally on a large plastic dustbin without a lid and inflate it in that position rather than vertically, to avoid any effect of gravity.

Be careful about overinflating.

With some tyre/rim combinations this works a treat and with (and sometimes without) the soapy lubricant the tyre just pops into place, sometimes audibly.

But going too high can destroy a rim, especially with fatter tyres, I've done this once with a new rim (50 mm tyre inflated to 5.5 bars) so nowadays I don't exceed 4 bars when fitting 50 mm tyres and don't run them at more than 3 bars, usually less.

JohnR

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2023, 05:51:38 pm »
I have a small pot of diluted washing-up liquid and a small paint brush for my tyre bead lubrication. I'm usually running tubeless tyres and the lubrication helps the beads to get seated. I also pump up to at least 5 bars (70psi) to encourage the beads to lock. There's usually a popping noise when this happens. Once every is seated then I revert to the normal operating pressure.