Community > Thorn General

New Thorn Mercury owner

(1/8) > >>

Marcc72:
It's taken a while, a few months shy of my 50th birthday, I gave in after years of finding reasons why not, obtained a Thorn Mercury.  It's taken so long because of the riding I have been doing, mostly sportive style stuff on much lighter steel frames.  I have to say that my 853 Genesis is now going up for sale.  I love this heavier slow style of riding.  I have after a few winter weeks clocked up 500km on my Mercury.  That's even with the heavier front fork and rack. I have in this short space of time, let my times go.  It was a hard concept to get my head around, but I have stopped recording on Strava, left it in the past.  I now just want to enjoy my rides for the sake of cycling!  My only regret was waiting so long.  It's the most amazing ride I have ever experienced, and I have owned a few bikes.  My Thomson seat post and stem which I have had on 3 different bikes really made this my ride from the get-go.  Gave it that familiar feeling my muscles knew .   It's my first experience of a Rohloff, I am very taken with it, it seems to punish you if not in the correct gear, it will need a few thousand kilometers to get totally use to it I am sure.  They do get up to speed with ease thou!   Anyway, I felt like I should post, say hello.  If you see a Grey Mercury around the Salisbury Wiltshire area, be sure to say hi.  Marc.

in4:
Welcome! Lots of recent comment about the celebrated Mercury. Great to see some photos. Happy riding. 🚴

R Bailey:
Welcome Marc

Hope you get as much enjoyment out of Thorn ownership that I already have - great bikes with good after sales help and service in my experience

go well with you adventures

Russell

Danneaux:
All congratulations on the new bike, Marc! Looking forward to seeing photos of it in the gallery. Grey? My favorite bike color! ;)

--- Quote ---I have stopped recording on Strava, left it in the past.  I now just want to enjoy my rides for the sake of cycling!
--- End quote ---
One of the best things I ever did...and I rode longer and stronger as a result! Early in my cycling "career", I joined a mileage-logging club and soon found that drove my cycling -- to my detriment. Though I was logging high mileage, I was also riding when sick or tired or doing laps of known circuits just to improve my times or post the distances I felt I "should". I broke free, removed my odometer (pre-bike computer days) and just enjoyed riding whenever. It was very zenlike, gaining by letting go and highly recommended. Later, I added a bike computer and enjoyed it very much because it was no longer the prime motivator.

Rohloff shifting will soon become second nature, I'm sure. Enjoy every ride! :)

Best,

Dan.

mickeg:
Your old bike, keep it for another year.  You might find that for some things you want to use one bike and a different bike for other things.  I regularly ride several derailleur bikes and one Rohloff bike.  The bikes are all great, but for some things one is better than the others.

After a year you will know if you want to keep it or not.  But you don't want to sell it if you might regret that later.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version