Author Topic: Thorn Service Dept.  (Read 1830 times)

Ubert767

Thorn Service Dept.
« on: January 20, 2022, 06:01:34 pm »
Hats-off to Simon Kirk at Thorn Cycles (and Royal Mail Parcelforce)
After 15 years of faultless service and many foreign tours the oil seals on my wife's and my Rohloff hubs began to loose a little oil so I sent them in to Simon for oil seal renewal. I packaged up the complete rear wheels and dropped them into my local Parcelforce depot on Monday morning and received them and back on the bikes this morning(Thursday 08:30). How's that for service?

Very impressed- Rob
« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 10:05:02 am by Ubert767 »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Thorn Service Dept.
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2022, 06:42:56 pm »
Wonderful! Quick turnaround by both shop and mails. Super job by Simon.

Living here in the upper-leftish corner of 'Merka, I am astonished at how quick UK mail is compared to USPS. Things typically take 7-10 days to reach me from the East Coast or Midwest. California shipments take about 3 days on average.

Best,

Dan.

RichardFM

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2022, 08:07:10 pm »
Wonderful! Quick turnaround by both shop and mails. Super job by Simon.

Living here in the upper-leftish corner of 'Merka, I am astonished at how quick UK mail is compared to USPS. Things typically take 7-10 days to reach me from the East Coast or Midwest. California shipments take about 3 days on average.

Best,

Dan.
The UK is much smaller. If you sent something from one end of the UK to the other it would have barely 1000 miles to go.
What's impressive is how quickly the seal change was completed.

Moronic

• Amazon.com Bongs For Steve ebook
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2022, 11:36:00 am »
Might just mean they have little to do, because they can't get the bits they need to build bikes.  ;)

Just a joke, but as they say many a true word was said in jest.

Don't want to underappreciate the service though. It's hugely impressive. When I phoned to say my bottom bracket was clicking, the person who picked up the phone said: "I'll just put you through to Robin." And then, Robin was very helpful.
Bongs For Steve: a lyrical novel about smoking and friendship. https://www.amazon.com.au/Bongs-Steve-I-J-Baker-ebook/dp/B0B2BRTKM2

RichardFM

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2022, 06:28:14 pm »
Might just mean they have little to do, because they can't get the bits they need to build bikes.  ;)

Just a joke, but as they say many a true word was said in jest.

Don't want to underappreciate the service though. It's hugely impressive. When I phoned to say my bottom bracket was clicking, the person who picked up the phone said: "I'll just put you through to Robin." And then, Robin was very helpful.
Yes, their  customer service is second to none.  I have very quick responses to email enquiries, including a personal reply from Robin.

PH

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2022, 08:57:03 pm »
I've also been impressed with the service and turn around, my original Rohloff has been back and forth a few times for various reasons, it could do with having an oil leak sorted, but I've been saying that for a couple of years...
The only issue is the cost of sending, well more the insurance and although I know loss and damage are rare I don't want to risk it, I might wait till next time I'm down that way and drop it in.

Also had excellent service getting SON hubs serviced, I know they send them to Germany for the work, but they don't hang about getting it back to you.  I hope Brexit hasn't disturbed that.