Author Topic: Rohloff grip  (Read 3302 times)

UKTony

Re: Rohloff grip
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2022, 01:07:46 pm »
The triangular and round grips only fit the original Rohloff shifter ....
The wavey one only fits the newer Rohloff Light shifter.
Unfortunately, the original shifter and its grips, aren't available anymore.
I'd have to replace the whole shifter, if I wanted to change!

This has been my understanding.  And my disappointment because I would like to have the newer wavy one, but not at that price.  I have never liked the round one.

Mickeg: the shifter unit in your photo above looks very much like the one fitted to my 2013 Mk2 Nomad - the Twist Shifter Light version. In might be worth double checking because if it is then the Wave design rubber grip is compatible as a straight replacement for the original rubber grip  and you wouldn’t have to replace the whole shifter unit.

UKTony

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2022, 01:55:37 pm »
Just to add to the above, this is a link to Rohloff website which shows the pre 2010 design shifter unit (the one that came with the triangular rubber grip) and if you keep scrolling down, the successor design - the Twistshifter Light - which initially came with a ‘round’, as opposed to a triangular, grip (like the one in Mickeg’s photo)  and then more recently the Wave design grip. The 2 rubber grips designed for the post 2010 Twistshifter Light are not compatible with the pre 2010 shifter unit and the pre 2010 triangular grip is not compatible with the post 2010 Twistshifter unit. If that makes sense.
So, as far as I can tell there have been two designs of shifter unit and three different rubber grips……….🙂

https://www.rohloff.de/en/service/handbook/speedhub/assembly/twist-shifter/twist-shifter-until-2010

Post 2010 shifter link
https://www.rohloff.de/en/service/handbook/speedhub/assembly/twist-shifter
« Last Edit: March 09, 2022, 02:06:03 pm by UKTony »

PH

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2022, 03:36:04 pm »
The 2 rubber grips designed for the post 2010 Twistshifter Light are not compatible with the pre 2010 shifter unit and the pre 2010 triangular grip is not compatible with the post 2010 Twistshifter unit.
If that's correct, and the advert for a L/H round grip also indicates it is, then what Inbred is looking for has never existed.... or has it....

mickeg

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2022, 07:18:26 pm »
Just to add to the above, this is a link to Rohloff website which shows the pre 2010 design shifter unit (the one that came with the triangular rubber grip) and if you keep scrolling down, the successor design - the Twistshifter Light - which initially came with a ‘round’, as opposed to a triangular, grip (like the one in Mickeg’s photo)  and then more recently the Wave design grip. The 2 rubber grips designed for the post 2010 Twistshifter Light are not compatible with the pre 2010 shifter unit and the pre 2010 triangular grip is not compatible with the post 2010 Twistshifter unit. If that makes sense.
So, as far as I can tell there have been two designs of shifter unit and three different rubber grips……….🙂

https://www.rohloff.de/en/service/handbook/speedhub/assembly/twist-shifter/twist-shifter-until-2010

Post 2010 shifter link

Thank you.

My Nomad Mk II, I built that up in 2013, same year as yours.  I bought my Rohloff from Germany, not from SJS, serial number 180659.  The shifter I had in the photo in a previous post above was original to that date.

This link that you provided:
the drawings in that link clearly show the round shifter like mine and it lists that grip as Rohloff part number 8190.

And SJS lists the Wave design shifter grip as 8190 too.
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/hub-spares/rohloff-rubber-grip-for-twistshifter-light-wave-design-8190/

At that SJS link, the Q&A section, the question and answer to the last question asked is (pasted in italics, I added bold for emphasis):

Will This Fit The Previous Version Twist Shifter?
By Anonymous
28 Jan 2016
My twist shifter is this version in link below. Will the new wave design fit the previous non triangular shifter?

Thanks.

SJS Customer Service:
Hi,

Yes this rubber grip will fit your twistshifter as you have the twistshifter light. The twistshifter light used to come with the smooth grip (non-triangular), but this was slippery in the wet so they changed to the wave design for more grip. So all new twistshifter lights come with the wave design and all twistshifter light's with the smooth grip can be upgraded to the wave design.

Thanks.

So, that pretty much confirms that you are correct and that I can replace my round shifter with the Wave shifter.

My hub came with a manual in German, so i had to download manuals from their website.  I just checked and their manual that I downloaded in Mar 2013 had photos of the triangular shifter where it described how to install.  But also in Mar 2013, I had also downloaded a two page instruction for the new twistshifter, that shows the round one and lists it as new shifter 8206.  (The file size is too big to attach as an attachment here.)

So, if I read this correct, to summarize, I have the shifter "light" that was not originally called "light" and my round version shifter that had the round grip part 8190 can be replaced with the replacement wavy grip part 8190.

And it appears that was confirmed by SJS in their note dated 28Jan2016, above.

For the momemt, my Shoe Goo addition made mine work pretty well, but next time I order some parts I might add the wave grip too.

Thanks.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2022, 08:11:40 pm »
So, if I read this correct, to summarize, I have the shifter "light" that was not originally called "light" and my round version shifter that had the round grip part 8190 can be replaced with the replacement wavy grip part 8190.

And it appears that was confirmed by SJS in their note dated 28Jan2016, above.

For the moment, my Shoe Goo addition made mine work pretty well, but next time I order some parts I might add the wave grip too.
Yep.

My own 2012 Nomad Mk2 came equipped with Light Shifter and round grip. I later ordered the wave grip and installed it in moments -- just a simple swap of the cover that involved removing and replacing the circlip at the end.

I like the wave grip very much and found it a worthwhile upgrade. The round grip on my borrowed Raven Tour proved very slippery in high humidity during my 2014 tour of Europe. The wave grip solved that problem for me.

Best,

Dan.