Author Topic: Ortlieb Trunk Bag review  (Read 563 times)

mickeg

Re: Ortlieb Trunk Bag review
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2022, 07:23:33 PM »
Going off thread, I've been looking at the Ortlieb Fork Pack Plus as a way of adding 11 ltrs capacity to the front of my Surly without using a rack, frustrating to find that despite having 18 mounting points (Yes seriously 9 per leg) none of them are suitable!

Thanks for mentioning that, I was unaware of it.

Looks like it should mount on any fork that uses the same three mounting bolts as a Salsa Anything Cage.

My bike touring trips are usually longer and I need the volume of my panniers.  Thus, I have not yet seen a reason to try one of the options other than conventional front rack and panniers. 

But, I could see at some time wanting to forgo that and instead use some smaller dry bags on either the Salsa cage or the Blackburn Outpost cage.  The Blackburn takes two bolts spaced the same as a water bottle cage instead of the three that Salsa uses.  And there are now lots of other brands in that field too.

Looks like the Ortlieb system is a well thought out design that accomplishes essentially the same as one of those cages and a drybag.

I did buy a couple of the Blackburn cages, I think I could mount them on a Nomad Mk II fork easily enough, upper bolt in the upper rack mounting point on the fork blade and a P clip on the lower mounting point on the cage to hold the orientation of the cage in the right place with the P clip wrapped around the fork blade.  Have not tried it yet, but I have accumulated the hardware to do that.

Also off topic, the tent I currently use for bike touring is a trekking pole style tent.  Instead of using trekking poles, I cut some poles that I can fold up short enough to fit in my front pannier, thus I no longer have to have my tent poles on top of the rear rack.

But, if your tent uses flexible poles and almost all tents do now, having poles custom cut to be smaller could be rather expensive.  The poles I use are not supposed to flex, so it was quite easy to do that at minimal cost.

PH

Re: Ortlieb Trunk Bag review
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2022, 09:50:57 PM »
Going off thread, I've been looking at the Ortlieb Fork Pack Plus as a way of adding 11 ltrs capacity to the front of my Surly without using a rack, frustrating to find that despite having 18 mounting points (Yes seriously 9 per leg) none of them are suitable!

Thanks for mentioning that, I was unaware of it.
Looks like it should mount on any fork that uses the same three mounting bolts as a Salsa Anything Cage.
Yes, the Surly has two sets of three at the right spacing on each leg, but neither of them are parallel to the wheel.  That wouldn't matter on a cylindrical bag/container but would with the flat, rigid backed Ortliebs.  I might end up with cage and bags, or if it gets too much trouble get a front rack, I'm looking for something easy to completely remove when not in use. I'm in no hurry, any possible use is months away.