Technical > Luggage

Ortlieb Trunk Bag review

<< < (2/10) > >>

PH:
Nice review Moronic, well thought through, i only stopped by to look at the photos and ended up reading it all, even though I have no interest in the product. It's a shame the bag monopolises the rack, the result IMO is too much product for the capacity.
I have two sizes of Carradice saddlebag, shared between three bikes with bagman supports, also a smaller Ortlieb saddlebag for the other bikes.  I didn't so much choose the Carradice, it's more that that's what touring cycles had and although I've moved on from many of the other standards, the saddlebags have stayed.
One thing your review didn't mention was the ability to attach stuff to the outside, I presume this isn't an option?  I dislike keeping a rain jacket in a bag with anything else (That's not to say I never do it, I just avoid when possible) It doesn't make sense to keep it in a bag, which you then have to open when it's raining, then put a damp jacket back into when it stops!  Mine is usually, strapped on top of a Carradice, or in a stuff sack strapped to the rack when using the Ortlieb.

mickeg:

--- Quote from: John Saxby on January 03, 2022, 08:32:30 pm ---...
I've never been quite sure what problem a trunk bag was s'posed to solve.  ...

--- End quote ---

I mostly use them for riding around near home, but only when I do not plan to lock up the bike somewhere where theft could be an issue.  I do not mind it being bigger than a small saddle bag, I can put a jacket or lunch or both in it. 

One of mine has been used regularly as a gym bag on a rack that I could attach to a seatpost with a clamp.  That one, when I got to the gym I left it attached to the rack and unclipped the rack from the seatpost so I could take the rack and bag inside.

But on tour, I use something bigger, usually a 20 to 30 liter drybag.

I have a large rather odd looking Racktime bag that has a hard shell shape, picked it up at a swap meet from a former Racktime dealer.  Not sure if it was a prototype or what, but it is rather large so I can shove a lot in it.  And it has a quick release attachment to Racktime racks, which I have a couple.

Moronic:

--- Quote from: PH on January 04, 2022, 05:07:23 pm ---It's a shame the bag monopolises the rack, the result IMO is too much product for the capacity.
--- End quote ---

That could be about right.

The other side of it might be my misapprehending of the rack I have. It's very narrow, and might be seen more accurately as a pannier hanger, much as the Duo is. With that top available for supporting a cylindrical load between the pannier tops, either as John Saxby demonstrates above or in a transverse arrangement as Ortlieb suggests for its rack bags.

So in saying to myself that my day ride luggage should be on he rack, I am missing the point. After all, if I leave the Tubus Duo bolted to the front fork, I accept that it won't contribute unless I mount panniers to it.

--- Quote from: PH on January 04, 2022, 05:07:23 pm --- I didn't so much choose the Carradice, it's more that that's what touring cycles had and although I've moved on from many of the other standards, the saddlebags have stayed.
--- End quote ---

And maybe because they're a good idea that has stood the test of time.

--- Quote from: PH on January 04, 2022, 05:07:23 pm ---One thing your review didn't mention was the ability to attach stuff to the outside, I presume this isn't an option?  I dislike keeping a rain jacket in a bag with anything else (That's not to say I never do it, I just avoid when possible) It doesn't make sense to keep it in a bag, which you then have to open when it's raining, then put a damp jacket back into when it stops!  Mine is usually, strapped on top of a Carradice, or in a stuff sack strapped to the rack when using the Ortlieb.

--- End quote ---

Yeah good point, and no there is no option to add anything to the exterior of the Trunk Bag. Again, unlike the front and rear roll-type panniers.

The special thing about he Trunk Bag is its ease of attachment, and then as JohnR observes it is neater than running a single pannier. On balance I'm pretty happy with it, but it doesn't have the versatility that made Ortlieb the market leader.

I'll also add that it comes with a shoulder strap that clips on at each end.

Danneaux:

--- Quote ---...The other side of it might be my misapprehending of the rack I have. It's very narrow, and might be seen more accurately as a pannier hanger, much as the Duo is.
--- End quote ---
I'm running a Tubus Logo Evo on one of my randonneuur bikes...a use where I also prefer my expanding rack pack/trunk.

I fitted a sheet of Dupont Zytel resin using nylon P-clamps (cable ties would also do) and this gave a solid untapered platform for the rack trunk atop the fairly narrow, tapered rack top. My trunk attaches with velcro straps threaded through the platform at each corner.

It has worked well for me over a number of years now. Though I rarely use the rack trunk with rear panniers, the secondary/lower pannier rail on the Logo Evo nicely carries both at once without mutual interference.

I recently modified a Logo Evo for a friend who wanted a similar setup to mine at lower weight. I used a holesaw to lighten the nylon rack platform and attached it with cable ties. I left the upper portion of the lower tubular rack rail in place and used a cutoff wheel to remove the lower run of that secondary rail. A little paint and nylon hole plugs and it looked factory fresh. He uses fairly narrow, lightweight panniers with his rack trunk, so they remain stable on the remaining rack struts with no heel strike. I recycled part of the lower rail to make a lateral brace fitted with a threaded boss above the rear mudguard blade for direct attachment so the upper 'guard struts were unnecessary. The slight weight reduction over the original rack would not have been worth it to me but was important to him, so....

Tubus' steel racks are easy to modify if you are skilled at brazing and have an oxy-acetylene torch and hobbyist framebuilding supplies as I do. I've removed supplemental struts and added integrated light mounts, bottle/cargo cage bosses and tie-down loops/lash points for bikepacking friends before repainting. Mods void the factory warranty but there have been no problems to date and the hacks added a lot of utility for their users. So long as one uses appropriate gauges of chromoly steel, it is also easy to make very strong racks from scratch to suit nearly any application or bag. The ones I made for my custom full-suspension Folder are strong enough to support my 78kg body weight when I stand on them. I usually go for stock Tubus racks myself because they are a readymade and durable solution at a fairly reasonable price given the materials and construction methods.

Best,

Dan.

John Saxby:
Thanks, Moronic, for starting this thread, and ditto to all for the informed commentary. "All you ever need to know about Trunk Bags, and then some" -- this thread is a good example of why the Thorn Cycles Forum is a good example.

Take a collective bow, gentlemen (he said, with a self-congratulatory  ;) )

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version