Author Topic: Merry Christmas  (Read 3993 times)

Andre Jute

Merry Christmas
« on: December 24, 2021, 04:23:14 am »
Merry Christmas to those who celebrate, and happy holidays to other revelers in the seasonal spirit.

The Thorn Cycles Forum has made the lockdowns easier to bear with fascinating reports from all over the world, sensible component recommendations, a high standard of civility even in disagreements, and the usual generous dollop of good fellowship and even laughter under trying circumstances for cyclists.

Here's the beach we'll ride to when all this pandemic inconvenience is behind us.

Andre Jute Reclaim the Beach 2018 watercolour on pastel paper 800pxw
« Last Edit: December 24, 2021, 10:53:45 am by Andre Jute »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Merry Christmas
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2021, 04:29:42 am »
Lovely sentiment and stunning watercolor, Andre. What a nice reminder of the gentle peace of the season. My best wishes to all as well.

Dan.

energyman

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2021, 08:50:59 am »
I'm out on my old Post Office bike today to get some exercise before it starts to rain.
Happy Christmas.

geocycle

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2021, 09:39:46 am »
Seasons greetings to all, may your rohloff run smoothly in 2022.

Actually, that’s probably the only point of certainty in this uncertain world!

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2021, 02:07:15 pm »
Best wishes from Scotland UK.
Just back from a short buzz around town.
A new app is tracking my miles, so enjoying the motivation.
Here's to more miles and smiles on your Thorn.

Best

Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

JohnR

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2021, 06:16:24 pm »
Seasons greetings to all, may your rohloff run smoothly in 2022.

Actually, that’s probably the only point of certainty in this uncertain world!
A sound forecast!

However, if the pandemic-related restrictions ease then I'll probably spend less time cycling as there will be more opportunity to do other things with my time.

Season's greetings to this happy community.

PH

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2021, 08:52:21 pm »
Seasonal greeting from me as well, may 2022 be all you wish for.

Here's the beach we'll ride to when all this pandemic inconvenience is behind us.
Nice - I've missed rides to the sea, Derby is I think the furthest city from the coast in England (Maybe it's the UK) a nice round 100 miles away, either East or West.  I normally manage five or six rides a year and have just managed two this year, neither on the Mercury. 

John Saxby

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2021, 09:34:15 pm »
Thanks, Andre, for that splendid watercolour.  Our beaches these days would tax your talents, mon vieux -- they're heavy on greyish-dirty ice & snow :(   I will watch for cold clear days over the river, however: the mist from open water that's warmer than the air can produce magical ice patterns on the trees.

Best wishes to everyone for 2022, sent with my hope for wider cycling horizons.

Andre Jute

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2021, 03:50:21 am »
Gentlemen, thank you for your kind words.

I feel your pain. But my cycling has been so ruined by the pandemic, I don't even aspire to "horizons", never mind riding to the other coast of the larger island... My prime, and primary, target is merely to be rid of the mask, so that my spectacles don't steam up and make me a menace to myself and everyone else. Then I shall be in the fortunate position of being able to ride ever-widening figures of eight around my house, to the extent of a decent half-day ride without ever being more than 15-20km from home. These small roads and lanes are so familiar, no planning is required: a quick check on the weather, a couple of phone calls while the kettle boils to see who wants to come, and we're gone whenever the mood takes me -- in days pre-pandemic. Those lanes are getting lonely without me...

2022 could be the year those halcyon days return.

PS. I hear my fox barking in the gulley below the orchard: he thinks spring is coming!

KDean

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2021, 12:08:10 pm »
Happy New year everyone ,Thanks for all the advice .I have my operation January 19th & I can't wait to get back out 6 months has been too long .

John Saxby

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2021, 07:10:15 pm »
O,
to be rid of the mask, so that my spectacles don't steam up and make me a menace to myself and everyone else.

'Tis our tragicomic fate, Andre.  Just be mildly grateful that it's not -12 at midday: in such conditions, mere mist/fog/condensation on the lenses is anything but  manageable, to be dispelled with just a wipe.

Best wishes for a mild, maskless and healthy noo year, mate!  ;)

Cheers,  John

Mike Ayling

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2021, 10:47:39 pm »
Fortunately we are in Summer here in OZ and my horn rims hardly fog up at all. They certainly did in what passes for winter here in Melbourne where the average minimum is 7C, that's positive degrees John!
Mask wearing rules seem to change every five minutes here in Victoria but there has always been an exemption for cycling which is classed as exercise and masks are not required when exercising. it is alleged that the Premier's wife is a keen runner and she insisted on the exemption.

Here are the latest rules:

Wearing a mask is required for everyone aged 8 and above in all indoor settings in Victoria (unless an exception applies, such as when in a home, when consuming food or drink, or when receiving beauty services).

Wearing a mask is also required in the following settings:

On public transport, in taxis/rideshare services, in tourism vehicles and on commercial flights.
    At an airport.
    While attending an event that has 30,000 or more patrons present, unless you are seated      outdoors at the event.
    While visiting a hospital or care facility.
    After being tested for COVID-19 and awaiting results, other than as part of surveillance testing.
    If the person has COVID-19 or is a contact, and is leaving the premises in line with quarantine, isolation or testing requirements.
    International passenger arrivals and international aircrew services workers who are in direct transit to their place of self-quarantine in Victoria and who leave their vehicle, or who are in self-quarantine and leave to undertake permitted essential services.

Carry your mask at all times when leaving home.

Now it is 15C, the sun is out and I am going for a ride with no distance restrictions.

I hope we all have a much better 2022.

steve216c

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2021, 02:32:03 pm »
Riding through the snow,
Chainglider o’er the stay
The Rohloff change is smooth
No skipping of the chain.
Shower-cap keeps leather dry,
On the Brooks in antique brown
And Marathon with spikes
Keep me from falling down…..

Jingle your bells, your bicycle bells and
Ring them every way,
Oh what fun to ride your bike
On a glorious winter’s day
Check your brakes and check your lights
Before you ride away
And jingle brightly when you stop
To keep the cars at bay…

Belated Merry Christmas and a happy new year from Berlin

If only my bike shed were bigger on the inside...

energyman

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2021, 04:19:06 pm »
That's terrible, not the poem, that's very good but the fact you left your beautiful bike out in the snow !
Happy New Year   :)

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2021, 07:40:29 pm »
Steve, what a great poem/ song.
It had my toes a tapping and my arms a flappin'.
Sure beats my effort:

Roses are red
Violets are bluish
If it wasn't for Christmas
We'd all be Jewish.
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink