Author Topic: Gates carbon belt drive  (Read 1721 times)

Gilles

Gates carbon belt drive
« on: December 18, 2021, 08:10:29 am »
I recently took delivery of a new bespoke touring bike with Rolhoff, Pauls disc brakes, Son dynamo and lots more. What I really love is the Gates carbon belt drive. Absolutly FAB. What I want to know is can I get my Nomad converted and my wifes Raven, to Gates belt drive.
Thanks for your knowledge.
Bippers

energyman

Re: Gates carbon belt drive
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2021, 09:02:00 am »
As long as you can bear to get your hacksaw out to cut a beautiful frame, it's possible.  I believe Gates need to know if the frame is rigid enough (or so I was told when I had a frame built by Kevin Sayles with Rohloff & Gates.
Anything is possible in the "Bike World".
« Last Edit: December 18, 2021, 09:09:33 am by energyman »

JohnR

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2021, 09:04:55 am »
The Mk 3 Nomad has a split chainstay so you can fit a Gates belt but the Raven doesn't. However, there is a split belt alternative which is discussed here http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=14076.0 . Both the Nomad and the Raven have an eccentric bottom bracket to facilitate adjustment of the chain / belt tension.

Gilles

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2021, 05:50:22 pm »
I don't fancy the split belt alternative, and had not considered the fact that the Thorn frames have eccentric bottom brackets which would be the only drawback with the bespoke bike I have (Crossley Matals) and the adjustment technique used on that to get the correct belt tension. Ive never liked the eccentric bottom bracket.I don't like the very fine thread rate on the lock bolts and fearful of pulling the threads, even though I do torque tighten them.

PH

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2021, 10:55:32 pm »
You could ask the frame builder you've just used if they can modify your Thorn, either with a split tube or modified dropout, I suspect it might not be economically viable, though that depends just how much you love the belt.
I'm quite curious about belts, I know those who have or had them and they do seem a love/hate thing, so it might be just as well I have no need for another bike!

mickeg

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2021, 03:08:06 pm »
I have no concern about the fine thread eccentric bolts on the Nomad Mk II bottom bracket shell, but on one occasion I found one of mine to be loose enough that I was concerned about loss.  Since then I wrap two rubber bands (cut from an old inner tube) around the two bolts so that they can't turn and loosen further.  The second rubber band is just in case one snapped and fell off.