Author Topic: How much punishment ….  (Read 5463 times)

ourclarioncall

Re: How much punishment ….
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2021, 09:31:13 pm »
Yup

One of my female friends hit one going downhill and had very bad bruising and swelling on her face

I have not experienced riding on the roads at high speeds . 10mph is my average . But I would like to give it a bit of welly when going downhill if I get a nomad , but the bad roads and impatient drivers that squeeze past you are a real killjoy. I just I would just have to get to know certain routes and roads intimately and know where every bump and drain is before relaxing too much

A little bit of fear /caution is not always a bad thing I suppose , Keeps you focused

ourclarioncall

« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2021, 09:44:33 pm »
There a pothole at the end of my street I just had to go out and measure 😊

It was approximately 3 inches deep

Then I measured the kerb and that was approximately 4 inches (which I think might be a Uk minimum )
« Last Edit: December 13, 2021, 12:41:43 am by ourclarioncall »

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2021, 10:03:20 pm »
Hmm, but now we have a bit of a problem in defining a pot hole 🕳, as they come in all sorts of shapes and sizes and depths (some really bad ones might be comparable to dropping of a kerb?  🤔
A big pothole is one of the worst hazards and you might well hit it at significant speed if it's lurking in the shadows on a downhill section of road.
My friend George thought he'd cycle through a puddle in China........
He instantly found out how deep it was as well as how difficult it was to obtain a replacement front wheel.
Puddles, pot holes, take your pick. Best avoided.
Will you be traveling in China?

Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

ourclarioncall

« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2021, 10:51:44 pm »
Yeah that is a thought …. What’s under that innocent looking puddle 🤔

ourclarioncall

« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2021, 10:58:36 pm »
I broke my nose real bad when I was about 14. Front wheel went down into a rut a tractor wheel had made. Not a pleasant experience I ever want to repeat . Included a hospital trip for an opp . My fault for getting over confident and not wearing a helmet

I saw another young motorcyclist a couple years back and he said wearing a helmet doesn’t look cool. I think I said a broken nose doesn’t look cool either

ourclarioncall

« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2021, 01:07:00 am »
Getting back on topic, perhaps the question should be "what is designed to be the weakest point and is it easily repairable". Wheels and spokes are much cheaper to repair/replace than a frame.

If regularly jumping over kerbs then would a suspension fork fit on a Nomad?  The next best defence is to use the fatest tyres that will fit. I had a nipple break on my Mercury (with 50mm tyres) in July, probably when I hit a substantial pothole that was lurking in the shadows. The result was a slightly warped wheel that I didn't notice immediately (I checked the bike for damage after the pothole encounter) and then lived with until I had time to investigate and fix.

Ouch , sorry to hear that . How did you deal with the wheel afterwards? Was it just the spokes or the rim ?

ourclarioncall

« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2021, 01:30:40 am »
If I buy a power tool I want to know what it can handle so I don’t damage it. If I don’t know then fear will come in and steal my liberty and enjoyment and will end up using it to a much smaller capacity than it is safely capable of
That's a fairly good comparison, I've frequently used power tools well beyond what they were intended for, I've never had one fail to do the job, but I'm pretty sure I've shortened the life of a couple.
[/quote]

You’ve painted a good picture there . With things like tools we have a good grasp of what they can cope with and can easily gauge their life expectancy. Can see and feel them wear and break down. If we use them to hard they can break. But when we break them we really learn their limitations which is often a positive as we gain confidence in knowing how far we can push it before failure.

Once you’ve killed one lawnmower you know how high to set the cutting height the second time without stressing the motor

But with an expensive bike we don’t have the luxury of safely taking it past it’s limitations until failure. with abuse(knowingly or unknowingly ), we know when we are crossing the line and will eventually reap the abuse we’ve sown

As you’ve said , “ I’ve never had one fail to do the job , but I’m pretty sure I’ve shortened the life of a couple “

Yeah, when I’m ploughing  through the long grass with mower and hear that motor struggling I know that can’t be good long term. It will last a long time , but still die early band don’t know when, and when it does it will very likely not hurt me and be undramatic . Can’t say that for a bike when your on it and the straw finally breaks the camels back
« Last Edit: December 13, 2021, 01:34:49 am by ourclarioncall »

ourclarioncall

« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2021, 02:09:43 am »

ourclarioncall

« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2021, 02:16:42 am »

ourclarioncall

« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2021, 02:45:15 am »
Ooof. Painful to watch but very sobering

https://youtu.be/K8U5fmNli9c

ourclarioncall

« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2021, 03:31:35 am »
“ Though they may be annoying for drivers, the impact of potholes can be far more severe. Department for Transport data revealed that at least 390 cyclists “were killed or seriously hurt between 2007 and 2016 because of potholes”. “

JohnR

« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2021, 08:24:23 am »
Ouch , sorry to hear that . How did you deal with the wheel afterwards? Was it just the spokes or the rim ?
It's reported here http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=14150.msg106789#msg106789 and here http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=14193.msg106793#msg106793 (and subsequent posts). I replaced the nipple, retensioned the spokes and the wheel appears to be as good as new (using eyeball and the wheel in the frame to do the truing). Breaking more than one spoke or nipple at the same time might have triggered enough warp that the I wouldn't have wanted to carry on riding for another week before investigating the problem.

A new nipple is cheaper than a new spoke which is cheaper than a new rim which is cheaper than new forks which is cheaper than a new frame. 50mm tyres at moderate pressure must also help with absorbing any impact loading comapred to narrower tyres at higher pressure.

ourclarioncall

« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2021, 11:22:07 pm »
So….

700c will go over potholes better than 26” ?

But 26” are allegedly stronger than 650b and 700c ?

What is going to be your choice of rim if you had to ride on a road with potholes and it was a guarantee

that you will hit them

Is there a clear winner nor obvious choice as to which tyre /rim /wheel size to choose ? Or is there not that much difference in them so pick what you like it doesn’t really matter that much ?

PH

« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2021, 11:06:02 am »
Is there a clear winner nor obvious choice as to which tyre /rim /wheel size to choose ?
No
Or is there not that much difference in them so pick what you like it doesn’t really matter that much ?
Yes
For a start, there's no standard pothole!

It's all a compromise, the smaller the wheel the stronger it is, but once it's strong enough, there's little point in increasing it. Wider tyres will always offer more cushioning, at a price, but again you're looking for wide enough to meet your needs and preferences, or we'd all be riding fat bikes.
The closer to perfect you get, the narrower the band of application, the wider the application the more the compromise, that's why some of us end up with a room full of bikes, when others are happy to do the same riding on a single bike.