Community > Thorn General

Keep or trade in

<< < (2/5) > >>

mickeg:
A heavy bike feels very different from a light bike.  But, pedaling up a hill, the total weight you are lifting (the bike, plus you, plus gear and water bottles, etc.) is where the difference is and if the difference between bikes is only 5 percent of the total weight, you are likely only 5 percent faster up a steep hill.  In that case, a different bike might feel like it is justified, but would you be happy investing in the different bike for only a small improvement in speed?

Tires for an unladen or lightly loaded ride may be different than what you have on the bike, you might be able to make the Nomad feel more responsive and faster.

If part of a trip is lifting the bike up on a rack for vehicle transport, is the Nomad a weight that makes that difficult for you to do or not?  I pick up my Nomad Mk II a bit differently than my lighter bikes because it is heavier, but I have figured out where to grasp it and how to lift it to make putting it on a rack less onerous.

I have a bike for every day of the week.  Most of my riding is on lighter derailleur bikes.  I use my Nomad Mk II for local rides that are mostly on gravel, I have 57mm wide mountain bike tires on it for use near home.  But I still have several trips left in me and plan to use my Nomad Mk II for what it was built for in the future.

If you feel that a 700c Rohloff bike would make you that much happier, if you can afford it, then the decision is probably already made, you are just trying to justify it to yourself.

Four years ago, I did not need another bike, but I became aware of a new titanium frame on Ebay with factory warranty that so far had bidding at a small fraction of the new manufacturer price.  I thought about it for a few days, I did not need it, but I had always wanted a titanium bike.  It now is one of my favorite bikes and I am glad I bought it.  If you  really want something that will make you happier, that is something you have to decide yourself.

JohnR:

--- Quote from: KDean on December 09, 2021, 11:15:00 pm ---I'm 97kg & like quite lanes , bridleways & cycle paths if that makes a difference .

--- End quote ---
I note that the Mercury's limit for rider + baggage is 110 - 120kg (depending on the forks see http://www.sjscycles.com/thornpdf/BUILD8MERCURY650bROHLOFF.pdf) which, if you are 97kg means that you can't heavily load the bike (not that you would want to).

It would be worthwhile finding out what Thorn would offer for a trade-in.

--- Quote from: ourclarioncall on December 10, 2021, 12:41:22 am ---What’s operation are you getting if you don’t mind me asking?

I would like to own a nomad but I’ve had an eye on a Mercury too. I want the tank but would like the ferrari too 🙂

The Mercury sounds like quite a machine . What build would you go for if you decided to pull the trigger ? 650b or 700c

--- End quote ---
Page 23 of the bible http://www.sjscycles.com/thornpdf/thorn_mega_brochure.pdf provides some advice on the suitability of the different builds. If you are keeping on the roads then 700c is more suitable but if venturing onto tracks then opt for 650b.

KDean:
Thanks for all the replies .I purchased my Nomad mrk2 just before my LEJOG trip & chose to use my Ribble Adventure 2.8" tires  because I knew there would be some off road
& I was more familiar with servicing it .Even though the Nomad is 5kg heavier I did compair the times on some local routes & their wasn't any difference in times , The Nomad did feel pretty comfortable & stable unloaded but this was only over 20_30miles .Thorn have offered me a good trade in price on s Mercury 650b but I'm wondering if there would be a huge difference .

JohnR:
In addition to the potential weight reduction the Mercury, being designed for a lighter load, should be more compliant and provide better ride comfort under your anticipated loading.

PH:

--- Quote from: KDean on December 11, 2021, 04:08:57 pm ---Thanks for all the replies .I purchased my Nomad mrk2 just before my LEJOG trip & chose to use my Ribble Adventure 2.8" tires 
--- End quote ---
I'd say, at a guess, a lightish Mercury build will be smack in the middle of those two.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version