Community > Thorn General

Keep or trade in

<< < (5/5)

mickeg:
I have not measured bottom bracket heights on any of my bikes, but I can say that my vintage Italian bike has an unusually low bottom bracket that I frequently ground a pedal when cornering, but I can't remember ever grinding a pedal on any other bike on pavement.

I find that every single one of my 700c bikes has toe overlap when I use fenders, but it is so common that I am quite used to it.  If I have to make a very sharp slow turn, I am used to remembering to stop pedaling during the turn and to position my crank arms up and down.  It has mostly been a hassle when touring with a heavily loaded bike, a heavy bike accelerates much slower and a slower bike means more steering corrections, thus I have often hit a fender with a shoe when starting out.  But otherwise have not had a problem with toe overlap, I call it a nuisance, nothing more.  My 26 inch bikes do not have toe overlap.  My only 650b bike is a three speed from the 1960s, it does not have toe overlap, that bike came with fenders on it.

My Nomad Mk II has a high bottom bracket, but I have not measured it.  I just feel that I am higher off the ground when on that bike.

I do not have a dedicated mountain bike, I was pretending that my Nomad Mk II was a mountain bike on a trip to ride mountain bike trails.  I fitted it with a 100mm suspension fork for that.  There were a few places like in the first photo below that there was enough erosion that the trail was quite a bit deeper than the ground on each side, occasionally I dragged a pedal on the side, which was most inconvenient.  I have no idea if the other mountain bikes that were more common on that trail had unusually high bottom brackets or not?  But usually the eroded trail was just wide enough for a crankset with pedals and not much more clearance than that.

Second photo, my Nomad on that trip, we were car camping in campgrounds and riding our bikes from the campsites.  I also fitted a cheap (mostly ineffective) suspension seatpost on that trip.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version