Community > Thorn General

Keep or trade in

(1/5) > >>

KDean:
As I can't see myself doing any heavy bike packing / touring after my operation  , is it worth trading in my Nomad mrk2 for something like the Mercury for light weight / b&b touring or would the difference be negligible ? I'm 97kg & like quite lanes , bridleways & cycle paths if that makes a difference .

ourclarioncall:
What’s operation are you getting if you don’t mind me asking?

I would like to own a nomad but I’ve had an eye on a Mercury too. I want the tank but would like the ferrari too 🙂

The Mercury sounds like quite a machine . What build would you go for if you decided to pull the trigger ? 650b or 700c

martinf:
"Quiet lanes and bridleways" and lightly loaded sounds like a Mercury with reasonably fat tyres, or if following the fashions, a "Gravel" bike.

I do notice the difference between my Raven Tour set up for loaded touring and my Raven Sport Tour set up for lightly-loaded day rides.

But I could probably get the Raven Tour down to nearly the same weight as the Raven Sport Tour by changing heavy components for lighter ones.

As has been said elsewhere on the forum, weightwise there is not all that much difference between frames. But weight isn't everything. I reckon a frame like the Raven Tour or the Nomad is less suitable for unloaded riding because it is designed to handle well with heavy loads, so is stiffer than necessary.

I would expect there to be more difference between the Nomad and the Mercury frames than there is between my two.

KDean:

--- Quote from: ourclarioncall on December 10, 2021, 12:41:22 am ---What’s operation are you getting if you don’t mind me asking?

I would like to own a nomad but I’ve had an eye on a Mercury too. I want the tank but would like the ferrari too 🙂

The Mercury sounds like quite a machine . What build would you go for if you decided to pull the trigger ? 650b or 700c

I'm having a HoLEP  operation on my prostate .shouldn't be lifting heavy weights & comfort is my priority ,I'll definitely be ditching my Brooks imperial saddle .
--- End quote ---

PH:
I'd agree with what martinf has said.  There is a considerable difference between the bikes, though depending on the current spec it may be possible to narrow it. 
I'd add that it also depends on the rider and how they intend to ride it. I know the cycling industry is full of marketing guff, but IMO calling the Mercury a "Sports Tourer" is one of the most accurate descriptions I've seen.  It is of course all subjective but I find it -  lively, responsive, rewarding, engaging, while still being predictable and relaxing enough to be considered a tourer. 
Do you want that? Or maybe more importantly, do you want it all the time?  There is of course a huge overlap and some truth in the old adage that you can do anything on any bike, even so, however much I like my Mercury, there are times when what it offers isn't what I want, it isn't my most ridden bike. 
Then, lastly, there's the money.  Three grand for an additional bike or half that for an upgrade, only you'll know how you feel about spending that, one person might only do so for something that transforms their cycling, another might casually spend it too see the differences for themselves. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version