Author Topic: Adjust eccentric to remove wheel  (Read 2069 times)

ourclarioncall

Adjust eccentric to remove wheel
« on: December 08, 2021, 04:16:46 pm »
Is it true to remove a rear wheel on a rohloff nomad you have to make an adjustment on the eccentric to loosen the chain ?

Thanks

JohnR

Re: Adjust eccentric to remove wheel
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2021, 05:03:16 pm »
I can't see why this would be necessary as the rear drop-outs appear to be inclined slightly forward of vertical so that, as the wheel is moved out of the drop-outs the chain tension reduces. In addition, once the axle is clear of the drop-outs then the wheel can be moved forwards to get the chain off the sprocket.

ourclarioncall

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2021, 05:12:54 pm »
I can't see why this would be necessary as the rear drop-outs appear to be inclined slightly forward of vertical so that, as the wheel is moved out of the drop-outs the chain tension reduces. In addition, once the axle is clear of the drop-outs then the wheel can be moved forwards to get the chain off the sprocket.

At 45 seconds he seems to say an eccentric adjustment is required to take wheel off. Unless I’m misunderstanding 

https://youtu.be/10FUOq8TKTk

geocycle

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2021, 06:30:02 pm »
You don’t have to loosen the eccentric to remove a wheel. Sometimes if your chain is very tight it can be easier when putting the chain back on but I’d not do it routinely.

JohnR

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2021, 06:34:58 pm »
At 45 seconds he seems to say an eccentric adjustment is required to take wheel off. Unless I’m misunderstanding 

[/quote]
I agree that's what he says but I couldn't see what the drop-outs looked like as they were hidden by the panner. It looks to be a fairly old frame and the design not the same as more recent production.

PH

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2021, 06:36:15 pm »
He does say that, I have no idea why, there is no need to slacken the chain to remove the wheel, possibly there might be if you had it drum tight, but you wouldn't want to do that.

ourclarioncall

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2021, 06:36:35 pm »
You don’t have to loosen the eccentric to remove a wheel. Sometimes if your chain is very tight it can be easier when putting the chain back on but I’d not do it routinely.

That’s good to hear as that wouldn’t be fun having that extra step to do when having to fix puncture on a dark wet windy Scottish night

ourclarioncall

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2021, 06:38:17 pm »
He does say that, I have no idea why, there is no need to slacken the chain to remove the wheel, possibly there might be if you had it drum tight, but you wouldn't want to do that.

Gotcha . thanks  , that makes sense

PH

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2021, 06:40:09 pm »
It looks to be a fairly old frame and the design not the same as more recent production.
I hade a 2004 Raven and it wan't necessary on that, previously I had two other non Thorn EBB frames, it wasn't on those either.  There'd need to be something seriously wrong with the dropout design for it to be needed.

ourclarioncall

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2021, 07:03:23 pm »

I agree that's what he says but I couldn't see what the drop-outs looked like as they were hidden by the panner. It looks to be a fairly old frame and the design not the same as more recent production.
[/quote]

Just curious , what the difference would be between the older and newer nomad mk2 frames ?

Is there a specific year when changes were made ?

Thanks

mickeg

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2021, 07:53:39 pm »
You do not have to loosen the eccentric to pull the wheel off.  Yeah, he said that.  He is wrong. 

Or, ... ... maybe on his bike he might have to, if you have minimal clearance between the fender (mudguard) at the chainstay bridge and tire, it might be a lot easier to do it that way.  I like to have a lot of clearance between my fenders and tire, so I do not need to.

That is a Mk II Nomad.  From his Rohloff serial number, his bike is probably a year and a half older than mine.  I think only the Mk II can be used with a suspension fork.

I have my Sinewave mounted so that the USB port is aimed down, not up, less likely to fill up with water in rain or collect dirt, but it is a bit harder to plug a cable into it while you are riding and doing that by feel.

Nice custom bags.  That is only the second time that I recall seeing a bag sewn to fit between the rear fender and seattube.  Not a convenient to use location, I wonder what he puts there?  That would probably be a good place to store tools which are quite dense, I put my tools in the bottom of a pannier.