Author Topic: EBay Nomad MK 3 58S BRG not long out of the box!  (Read 5583 times)

Matt2matt2002

Re: EBay Nomad MK 3 58S BRG not long out of the box!
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2021, 09:21:09 am »
Looks like a bargain at that price.
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

mickeg

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2021, 11:09:41 am »
Good specifications all around. 

I was surprised that Thorn did not include the three mounting points on the front fork for the newer bikepacking cages in the Mk III revision.  The the text and last photo shows adaptors that were custom made for the task on this one.

I think that is the first SJS assembled Rohloff bike I have seen that had 36 spokes on the rear.  Even after Rohloff added the 36 spoke option years ago, SJS continued to stick with 32 spoke.  I built my own wheels for my Nomad Mk II in 2013, I used 36 since I was buying the parts, thus this is only the second Nomad I have seen with 36 spokes.  But now it is getting harder to find good replacement 36 hole rims, so using 36 on this bike is a bit of a surprise to me.

Owner said he wants a hardtail for off road riding.  I wonder if he would have been happier with a Mk II instead since that could take a suspension fork?  I have use a suspension fork on my Mk II for some mountain biking trails.

Disc brake rear and rim brake front, that is how I set up my Lynskey.

ourclarioncall

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2021, 12:03:21 pm »
I’m just waiting for him to answer questions I sent yesterday….

PH

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2021, 12:37:46 pm »
If that's the size and spec someone wants it's an absolute bargain, hardly run in, have to feel sorry for the seller, looks like an expensive mistake!  There's some top quality upgrades there, I wouldn't like to guess the cost...
Evan at that price potential buyers will need to be sure it's what they want, the short frame with straight bars wouldn't be for everyone, even less so with the current swept back ones (Though they're easily changed) It is very much expedition spec, if you start thinking you'd make a few changes a fair chunk of the savings could be eaten up.  Or maybe not?  There's a fair bit of sellable stuff included if you didn't need it.

mickeg

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2021, 12:59:20 pm »
..., the short frame with straight bars wouldn't be for everyone, even less so with the current swept back ones ...

Good point on the size.  Since I am not shopping for one, I did not even look at the size. 

They did not make an S frame for the Mk II version when I bought mine.  Since I use drop bars, I bought a 590M size, that fits me well but it shows a LOT of seatpost above the frame.

in4

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2021, 01:46:00 pm »
That’s a great buy for some lucky, speedy person.

ourclarioncall

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2021, 02:07:20 pm »
..., the short frame with straight bars wouldn't be for everyone, even less so with the current swept back ones ...

Good point on the size.  Since I am not shopping for one, I did not even look at the size. 

They did not make an S frame for the Mk II version when I bought mine.  Since I use drop bars, I bought a 590M size, that fits me well but it shows a LOT of seatpost above the frame.

I thought the S size on the nomad mk3 was the same thing as the M on the nomad mk2

Or am I getting confused ?

There is no M size on the nomad mk3 …. Why is that ?

Was there an S size on the mk2 ?

Sorry for so many questions 😵‍💫

Dave B

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2021, 02:12:48 pm »
Great looking bike. Any idea of its suitability in terms of height / reach ?

ourclarioncall

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2021, 02:35:47 pm »
Great looking bike. Any idea of its suitability in terms of height / reach ?

I’m about 6 foot and would fit into three sizes , this size being the middle size of the three and probably the most comfortable

I think the owner went with the S size for comfortable riding and for a very relaxed upright position as shown in thorn literature

I have considered this type of posture, but I’m a bit concerned I won’t like it . And I have no way of testing it unless I travel hundreds of miles

ourclarioncall

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2021, 02:38:05 pm »
That’s a great buy for some lucky, speedy person.

Yup , that’l probably be snapped up fast

Thought about it myself but could be an impulse buy I might regret

mickeg

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2021, 05:48:37 pm »
The Mk II brochure really stressed not having drop bars.  The Mk III brochure also suggests that you should not have them but they reluctantly have said they make them in an S for those few that want them.

I bought the 590M for my Nomad Mk II because it had a top tube length about the same as my other bikes, that is one of the criteria I look at hardest, as you can adjust a seatpost for more up and down but there is not much ability to adjust reach other than length of stem, and that is only within a small range.

My Thorn Sherpa is a 610S.  I have not compared the two bikes for geometry since I bought my Nomad Mk II, but if I recall they have about the same seatpost slope and same head tube angle, or about the same.  So, on that basis I was mostly sizing my Nomad Mk II only by top tube length (or effective top tube).

I have no clue why they had an M size for the Mk II, but they did, but no S sizes.

After I bought it I became quite pleased that I had a slightly shorter (in height) frame for the Nomad over the Sherpa, as I do not know if I could have fit a larger frame in my S&S Backpack.  That bike really fills up the case to the limit, but that includes the fork and Thorn says the fork will not fit in the case.

When I bought mine, they also had some X frames that had a bit less steel in the frame, mine was rated for 62kg capacity (excluding rider weight) and the same size  X frame was 45kg.  I did not look very hard at the X frames, so I can't say more other than they sold them out soon after I bought mine.  All of their X frames in the  catalog I was looking at when I bought mine (spring 2013) were size M, no L sizes.

ourclarioncall

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2021, 06:02:05 pm »
I guess it would be difficult to have a very relaxed riding position without a smaller size than the large ?

Andre Jute

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2021, 02:19:55 pm »
I guess it would be difficult to have a very relaxed riding position without a smaller size than the large ?

Am I missing something  here? A "very relaxed riding position" for me means near or at least much nearer upright (itself a rather loose word as for the protection of your spine you need to be a few degrees off perfectly perpendicular to the ground). 

A near-upright position (with flat bars) then implies a shorter top tube than for drop bars/a flat back, plus possibly a different head-/seat-tube angle.

A near-upright, very relaxed position is possible on a longer top tube with a short stem and swept-back handlebars, the type called North Road being particularly ergonomically sound, especially if the seat tube and head tube angles are slack, say 67-68% to give your legs some leverage with your body nearer a straight line with the seat tube over the bottom bracket. Since the grips on the North Road type of bars point downwards rather than being parallel to the road, the length of the steerer tube also enters into the adjustment of the same frame for the rider's comfort.

On Thorn bikes of the immediately past era, if the rider bought the frame suggested for his height and preferred riding posture and chosen handlebars, most of the work was done for him by Thorn's plethora of thoughtful size/attitude/component combinations -- making the customer responsible only for sending in very specific and accurate body measurements. Basically, Andy Blance had eliminated a huge part of the mistakes made by would-cyclists whose bike end up hanging in the garage gathering dust.

My own opinion is not that all this makes the bike on Ebay under discussion a dicey buy, but that, if it is approximately right, the new owner can adjust it to his preferred riding position with a thoughtful choice of components, though under the restraint already mentioned that the cost of new components doesn't make it as expensive as ordering a new Thorn bike that fits perfectly out of the box. As examples, I have bikes of 55cm, 57cm, and 59cm, all bought as the nearest smaller available size to what would be ideal (it's a mistake to let a salesman talk you in a larger bike than you need) and ranging from rather quite small to 2m long overall, huge, all adjusted by component choices to the same rider (me) fitting them in exactly the same position to within an unnoticeable or at least easily assimilated 1mm. The key in each instance was an uncut, long steering tube or the availability of a steering tube extender of decent engineering probity, and quite a bit of patient tech sheet comparison, aided by old fashioned fit and try. An indispensable aid to such methods is a relatively long swiveling stem, which in conjunction with a long or lengthened steerer tube adjusts both the height and the reach to the handlebars before you take out your saw or angle grinder to cut the steerer tube; several of my bikes actually still have the adjustable stem fitted, because I haven't found a stem of exactly the correct fractional value in length and angle, or because the adjustable stem turns a foursquare commuter/touring bike into a record-setting racer at the flip of a lever. (In my younger days, I set my own ton-up, kph, downhill, truck-assisted, personal record with that stem putting the handlebar grips down beside the fork crown.)

ourclarioncall

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2021, 04:57:35 pm »
Andre

Excuse my ignorance, there’s lots of it haha

Thanks , yes that makes sense now. That’s definitely what I’d like to do , have a few frames of different sizes and stems and get my lab coat on and do some experiments to see what really works for me