Author Topic: Frame weight spectrum  (Read 1750 times)

ourclarioncall

Frame weight spectrum
« on: November 21, 2021, 01:18:54 am »
I touched on this topic before but want to revisit it after reading about the Raven tour

I was trying to figure where all the models sat along the weight spectrum . From heaviest duty to light duty

So we have

Nomad
Raven tour
Raven

Anyone know the weights of these frames ? I’m wondering if the Raven tour is closer to the nomad or the Raven in heavy duty-ness

in4

Re: Frame weight spectrum
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2021, 03:35:34 am »

PH

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2021, 11:07:54 am »
Welcome back, in your absence, we've had this discussion several times, so some of this will be repetition.
I doubt there's much difference between the Raven and the Raven Tour.  Is there any?  Or was the "Tour" prefix just dropped when the "Sport" model ceased production?
The Nomad is a bit heavier, how much I don't know, I'd guess less than half a kg, and wouldn't be surprised if it was half that.  It isn't the sort of weight difference you'll notice if carrying it upstairs.  it isn't the weight difference that's important, it's how that alters strength and feel. If you forget the weight and get the bike designed as closely as possible to your intended usage, it'll be the right bike and the right weight. 
Consider the difference between sizes of the same model is likely to be greater than the difference between models of the same size.

Edit - Remembered I had this bookmarked, the 2011 Thorn Raven brochure
https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/read/11943898/raven-tour-and-sport-tour-brochure-spring-2011-thorn

Page 8 might be of interest, it details how different the Tour and Sport models are, also that the weight difference is 200g for the frame and 120g the fork.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 11:38:39 am by PH »

in4

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2021, 11:15:39 am »
PS what size Thorn are you looking for. I’ve a keen eye and often see lovely bikes for sale. How tall are you?

martinf

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2021, 05:12:52 pm »
Anyone know the weights of these frames ? I’m wondering if the Raven tour is closer to the nomad or the Raven in heavy duty-ness

Don't know the weight, but I believe the Raven Tour is closer to the Raven. One probable difference is the fork. I like the twin-plate fork crown on my Raven Tour bikes better than the newer Raven fork.

ourclarioncall

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2021, 04:26:45 pm »
Thanks chaps

Yeah I found the brochure that explained the differences between the two

There’s quite a few crop up on eBay

I sometimes find thorns on gumtree and Facebook marketplace too . Not sure if there is anywhere else to look ?

I’m tending to think I want to wait a few months for the new batches of nomad mk3’s

PH

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2021, 10:02:16 pm »
Yeah I found the brochure that explained the differences between the two
Found the brochure?  I linked to one that does just that a couple of posts up  ;)

ourclarioncall

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2021, 11:13:10 pm »
PH

Yeah thanks for the link . I think I had already found it and taken a few screen shots on my phone.