Author Topic: New Thorn stock next year  (Read 1789 times)

ourclarioncall

New Thorn stock next year
« on: November 21, 2021, 01:12:05 am »
I been absent for a while , thought I’d start a few fires to warm our hands by

So 2022, can we expect to see some more new bikes , bike colours etc ?

Most of everything is sold out and i haven’t bought a bike yet . Was looking at a Mark 3 nomad but they had no 26” forks left and think expect a new batch in March next year according to an email .

Wondering if there will be new frames too and maybe some new colours ?

I would LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE *B*L*A*C*K

or maybe even white . I also like green and purple.

brummie

Re: New Thorn stock next year
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2021, 04:56:26 pm »
Robin recently posted on FB that next batch of MK3 Nomads will be available in the same colour options as previous.

ourclarioncall

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2021, 12:21:07 am »
Brummie

Ah ok thanks pal

Black would have to be a custom colour then if they’d do it

steve216c

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2021, 12:21:23 pm »
Whenever I have parted with my hard earned on a vehicle motorized or otherwise, although I have had my colour preferences, I have always let my head rule my heart and purchased based on getting the best for my money that fits my technical requirements and budget the best BUT irrespective of colour.

I have to confess, I'd rather like a bike in British racing green or at the other extreme one coated in a paint that worked like those reflex stripes  you find on bike tyre sidewalls to make me glow like a phantom riding in the dark. But ultimately the pleasure comes from riding the bike and not just admiring from a distance. I own (or have owned bike in bronze, hi-viz neon, various shades of grey but none I would have taken as first choice had an alternative for the same money been available at the same time.

Given the difficulty in getting the bike you want quickly- maybe find the bike that fits, has the components you want but that compromises on colour or on other components. When I was looking for my Rohloff equipped bike I wanted a disc brake Rohloff with hub dynamo, mudguards and a decent carrier. Nothing decent came up for a while until a friend convinced me to try Magura rim brakes as alternative. I did, and was impressed how much better than V-Brakes they were. And I bought the bike I now use daily.

The only regret, a week or two later, I spotted a disc braked bike, albeit without mudguards, dynamo or carrier at a similar price to what I paid, but where I might have retrofitted the missing components I wanted had both been available at the same price on same day when looking. But after 13,000km, I have absolutely no regrets in having a bike which checks almost all the boxes important to me- irrespective of colour which 'meh' if anyone is asking  ;D

If only my bike shed were bigger on the inside...

ourclarioncall

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2021, 04:38:50 pm »
Yeah, even if I can tick all my asthetic boxes the novelty will soon ware off 😃 and il be left with what’s most important, a comfortable reliable bike that gets me from a to b

I’m thinking I will go for a nomad mk3 when they get their new batch of stock in and there’s no black available 😵‍💫🥲😊

Il live

I would maybe pursue custom colour but don’t know if that would mean having to strip the paint off of one and I think I read that was not always a good idea ? Can effect it negatively. Maybe I picked that up wrong.

And the mk3s are ED coated inside and out I think to help with rust ? Which is something I like the sound of. If I went custom I don’t know if I would get the ED coating as that might be done in big batches in a land far away?

Probably no correlation but on the silver nomad mk2 on eBay there is rust patches under the bottom bracket . That would drive me nuts if that were my bike . Don’t know how that happened but it was a custom Mercedes silver colour done in 2015 . Maybe this just happens naturally being stored in shed or garage for long periods of time ??

WorldTourer

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2021, 09:46:02 pm »
Probably no correlation but on the silver nomad mk2 on eBay there is rust patches under the bottom bracket.

Probably the result of the spanner striking the frame and scraping some paint off as you worked with the elliptical bottom bracket's screws. Checking every inch of your frame once per year for any sign of scraped paint or rust ought to be seen as a necessary maintenance.

GamblerGORD649

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2021, 02:19:19 am »
Paint of any color is too easy to scratch anyway. I priced how much to strip and powder coat, they said about $240Cdn. I just wouldn't live with a color I hated. Make sure it gets the zinc undercoat.
My old CCM was sprayed a bright yellow by a previous owner. Lots of people I passed said nice bike. And this is with black tape all over and grocery bags on my bars. LOL. My black Dyad rims and SA RD3 hub are beautiful alright. Bare alu looks awful in short order.
Actually, that yellow addon paint peels off very easily. They just sprayed on top the original coat.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 02:23:15 am by GamblerGORD649 »

PH

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2021, 09:21:17 pm »
Paint of any color is too easy to scratch anyway.
I'd say the DuPont Imron that Thorn currently use is as tough as most powdercoat.  Just saying "Paint" or "Powdercoat" isn't very useful, they both cover a range of finishes. 
Traditional enamel isn't what it used to be since they restricted the harmful chemicals used in the process, you can't have everything!

ourclarioncall

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2021, 09:06:10 pm »
Probably no correlation but on the silver nomad mk2 on eBay there is rust patches under the bottom bracket.

Probably the result of the spanner striking the frame and scraping some paint off as you worked with the elliptical bottom bracket's screws. Checking every inch of your frame once per year for any sign of scraped paint or rust ought to be seen as a necessary maintenance.

Makes sense, yeah I can picture the spanner clanking off the bottom bracket.

Only thing is , this bike that’s for sale has only done about 1000 miles (lands end to John o groats ) so would that even be enough wear to need tightening up the chain?

Or could the rust be a result of stones etc hitting the bottom bracket while riding ?

Or what about a bad paint job? Or sitting in a damp garage ? Or combination of these things 🤔

ourclarioncall

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2021, 09:21:30 pm »
Could a pro just paint another coat of imron in black (if you get such )over the top of thorns current new colours ? Or it not as simple as that

Would it be best to strip the whole thing and start again?

I’m sure I read somewhere that stripping and respraying had some negatives attached to it but I could well be wrong