Technical > Transmission

Thorn Mercury Mk3 bottom bracket click or knock - any solutions?

<< < (4/7) > >>

John Saxby:
+1 on Loctite/Permatex/whatever blue. 

Elsewhere, I read a comment by Jan Heine, who recommends a light smear of beeswax plus correct torque settings.  Haven't tried beeswax yet -- still have tubes of Loctite blue -- but pure beeswax is not so easily found in my neighbourhood.

mickeg:

--- Quote from: John Saxby on November 12, 2021, 02:48:18 pm ---... but pure beeswax is not so easily found in my neighbourhood.

--- End quote ---

In my part of USA there often are what are called "farmers markets" where once a week people show up to sell stuff at a small stand.  Often includes bakers, organic vegetable growers, flower gardners, etc.  And at some of them you may have someone selling honey, and chunks of beeswax.  I got a chunk of beeswax at one of those, but never tried it on a bike.

Danneaux:
I have been a longtime (40+ years) user of beeswax and found it worked well as a threadlocker, especially in bottom bracket cups (in steel frames), threaded steerers, and bottle cage machine screws.

The secret is to pre-knead the beeswax before application. Kneading it -- working it thoroughly between one's fingers, like pulling taffy -- changes the texture of the wax from dry and crumbly to more of a spreadable semi-solid. It is well worth the effort and I have found it to be a good barrier to the formation of rust in threads where it has been applied. It needn't be "pure" but I have found it best to get the filtered kind that does not include wings and legs and other large inclusions as it is easier to knead, more consistent to apply, and does a better job of filling gaps and the valleys between threads.

Best,

Dan.

John Saxby:

--- Quote ---the filtered kind that does not include wings and legs and other large inclusions
--- End quote ---

Thanks, George and Dan.  I'll check out those options.  I regularly use beeswax as a hand & skin cream, but that usually includes additives such as olive oil & jojoba bean, I assume to keep it smooth & easily applied. (The best I've found in that respect is in 'Straya, though it's a bit far to go...)

Bees, including honey bees, are under siege in Ontario -- the provincial gvt has allowed farmers to use pesticides which include neonicotinoids, and although that's being contested, the policy remains in place.  :(

Cheers,  J.

mickeg:
Bees are having a tough time, just about everywhere.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version