Author Topic: Rohloff Screw-on sprocket removal tool  (Read 5445 times)

JohnR

Rohloff Screw-on sprocket removal tool
« on: November 03, 2021, 06:43:05 pm »
Has anyone got a Rohloff screw-on sprocket removal tool which is surplus to requirements?  I'd prefer to not have to buy a new one https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tools/rohloff-sprocket-removal-tool-inc-a12-adapter-for-135-142-170-177-mm-hubs-8508/ for one-off usage.

Gilles

Re: Rohloff Screw-on sprocket removal tool
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2021, 09:46:13 pm »
Hi John
Ive got one I would lend to you if you want to pay postage.

JohnR

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2021, 01:59:44 pm »
Thanks for the offer. I'll send you a message.

Gilles

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2021, 12:22:53 pm »
Hi John. I put the tool in the post Monday 2nd class signed. Should be with you Weds or Thurs
Gilles

JohnR

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2021, 12:28:26 pm »
Unfortunately, you've sent me tool 8540S which is for the splined carrier so it's now on the way back.

I can, of course, try the DIY approach as shown here http://ragun.com/Rohloff/RohloffSprocketTool.htm. If I had a proper work bench I would set about modifying one of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114801559556 as explained here http://ragun.com/Rohloff/RohloffSprocketTool.htm.

mickeg

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2021, 02:20:02 pm »
Some have complained about the threaded sprockets as being threaded on really tight and hard to remove.  I have never had a problem but I used large wrenches for leverage.

Gilles

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2021, 10:03:08 pm »
Oh dear John. Im really sorry, but I have one of those too. Would you like me to send it to you.Whoops
Please dont worry about my postage cost. I think I owe it to you.

PH

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2021, 10:18:49 am »
As an aside - Are people fitting the carrier and forgetting it?
Maybe it's my cautious nature, but I've treated it the same way as everything else that at some point might need removing, that is making sure that's an easy job when the time comes, so periodically the carrier gets removed, cleaned and re-greased.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2021, 03:27:29 pm »
...periodically the carrier gets removed, cleaned and re-greased.
I do the same.  :)

Best,

Dan.

mickeg

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2021, 07:07:37 pm »
As an aside - Are people fitting the carrier and forgetting it?
Maybe it's my cautious nature, but I've treated it the same way as everything else that at some point might need removing, that is making sure that's an easy job when the time comes, so periodically the carrier gets removed, cleaned and re-greased.

When I run out of threaded sprockets, I plan to remove the carrier just as often for that reason.

I pull my threaded sprocket off every other year or so, even if I intend to put it back exactly where it was.

steve216c

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2021, 11:54:07 am »
Unfortunately, you've sent me tool 8540S which is for the splined carrier so it's now on the way back.

I can, of course, try the DIY approach as shown here http://ragun.com/Rohloff/RohloffSprocketTool.htm. If I had a proper work bench I would set about modifying one of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114801559556 as explained here http://ragun.com/Rohloff/RohloffSprocketTool.htm.

@ John, I'm not a rocket scientist, but armed with a saw and a file did attempt to build my own tools. Firstly I followed the ragun approach, then made my own (IMHO slightly sturdier) version with photo instructions on the following link.

http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=14162.msg105540#msg105540

Of course, an original Rohloff tool is generally going to be better finished and guaranteed suitable for the job. Relatively speaking, they are not even that expensive...BUT if a homemade one works, and you have the time and inclination... take the challenge and feel free to post your results and experiences in making and using it  ;D

If only my bike shed were bigger on the inside...

JohnR

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2021, 10:08:17 am »
I considered making the DIY tool and would have probably gone that route if I had a workbench. I did have one over 50 years ago when in the parental home but it was too substantial to put in the car when I moved out.

I've also looked upon the splined adaptor as a fit and forget part. In what circumstances would it ever need to be removed?

PH

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2021, 08:57:13 pm »
I've also looked upon the splined adaptor as a fit and forget part. In what circumstances would it ever need to be removed?
Two possabilities I can think of:
Damage probably isn't very likely, but those sorts of split ring retainers do break, usually as a result of cack handed fitting or removal of the ring.
Or to change it for something else, there's three or four types of adapter, plus the threaded sprocket.  Maybe you'll never have need to change what you have now, but who knows? Maybe a different chainset would benefit from a different chainline, or something completely different comes along.

I sent us down this spur, wondering if anyone else bothered, it wasn't a recommendation, I'm not going to disagree with anyone who says they don't touch it after fitting. I have the tool (I had two but gave one away) it adds 10 min or so to the annual service, and I like the idea that things designed to come apart are maintained to do so with ease.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 09:13:19 pm by PH »

mickeg

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2021, 11:04:49 pm »

When I tour, I carry my Rohloff tool with me.  It is my understanding that if the hub needs to be opened up, you need to pull the sprocket or carrier off first.  Probability of that happening on one of my tours is likely less than 1 percent, but still that is greater than zero.  And I would expect almost no bike shops where I am likely to travel would have that tool.  But they would have a chain whip and most other common tools, so I don't carry the common stuff that they would likely have.

JohnR

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2021, 06:24:45 pm »
With the assistance of the right Rohloff tool I've succeeded in unscrewing the Gates sprocket. The other tools are shown in the attached photo along with the butchered sprocket. My first attempt at a tool to hold the sprocket comprised some old aluminium curtain rail with two small bolts through it to fit the holes in the sprocket. Both the curtain rain and the bolts bent without moving thesprocket. I then cut two notched in the sprocket (I reckon that no one in their right mind would want to reuse a Gates screw-on sprocket) so it could be gripped by the pipe wrench. Then, with the Rohloff tool held by the spanner resting on the concrete block I was able, with assistance of the hammer, to turn the sprocket. There was some grease on the threads but it was tight.