Author Topic: Front hub sounds/feels rough  (Read 3605 times)

John Saxby

Re: Front hub sounds/feels rough
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2021, 02:30:39 pm »
Great news, Jean-Marc.  Glad you were able to get a usable/upgraded part, and to find an ace wheelbuilder into the bargain!

Enjoy your tour in the Eastern Karoo, stay cool(-ish),

Best,  John

mickeg

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2021, 06:15:01 pm »
If you got new spokes for your old hub, they might not be the same length you need for a new hub.  And front disc hubs sometimes use a different length spoke on one side than on the other side.

j-ms

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2021, 06:38:41 pm »
Hi Mick

The dishing of the spokes on a disk brake hub hadn't crossed my mind.  All the spokes are 268mm long.  I will call Rob (the wheel builder) in the morning and chat to him.  Thanks for the heads up.

Jean-Marc

PH

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2021, 06:53:21 pm »
I'm sure your wheelbuilder will know what they're doing, as mickeg says it'll be a different spoke length either side, it isn't just the dishing, Shimano disc hubs have a different flange diameter each side, at least those I've used do.
Once built, there's nothing wrong with using a disc hub on a rim brake wheel, I have a wheel that gets swapped back and forth between rim and disc brake bikes.

mickeg

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2021, 09:15:51 pm »
Last spring I built up another dynohub front wheel, SP hub.  The supplier was out of PV8 hubs for rim brake, so I bought a disc version for only 3 euros more.  The left side flange was slightly larger but since spokes are usually sold in increments of 2mm, the two spoke sizes I needed were so close to each other that I could use the same spoke length on both sides of the wheel.

That new hub you have might be an aluminum axle version.  But front wheels have a lot less load on them so if it is the aluminum version it should still work just as good as the steel axle ones.  I bought an aluminum axle XT front hub for my folding bike years ago, as been trouble free.  But, when new it only had minimal grease in it so I add some before I used it.

j-ms

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2022, 01:12:28 pm »
I got the new wheel back today.  I have fitted it with the old, rather worn tyre and at first glance everything looks OK.  I will coax Leigh out for a short spin tomorrow to test it out - we did fifty odd kilometers this morning so I'm not going to get her out now :-).  Thanks for all the input and advice.

PH

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2022, 03:12:24 pm »
Good stuff, hoping it does you many happy miles, there's no reason is shouldn't.

John Saxby

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2022, 08:02:53 pm »
Looks good, Jean-Marc, ready for the Karoo! 👍