Author Topic: Alternative to Kickstand  (Read 2001 times)

JohnR

Alternative to Kickstand
« on: December 10, 2021, 09:08:02 pm »
I've bought one of these Upstand copies https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08T1S2P8L and fitted it onto my new bike. While it will never have the instant response of a kickstand it will definitely be a viable, and much lighter, alternative for when there's nothing available for leaning the bike against. There's no provision for adjusting the length but if I decide I want a little less tilt when used with a 700c tyre then I'll improvise a ring to put into the joint to make the prop slightly longer.

It claims a 15kg load capacity which probably excludes a heavily laden bike although under normal circumstances the weight of the rear part of a bike will be shared between the prop and the wheel. There's also a stainless steel version which I've now ordered and will be put on the Mercury. Surprisingly, the rated load capacity is the same as for the carbon fibre version.

energyman

Re: Alternative to Kickstand
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2021, 02:10:35 pm »
Looks good but I prefer my Click Stand as you don't have to bend down to install it.
Mind you postage to UK is a bit steep !

UKTony

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2021, 01:47:43 pm »
Looks good but I prefer my Click Stand as you don't have to bend down to install it.
Mind you postage to UK is a bit steep !

The Clickstand seems to be a refashioning of a lightweight collapsible  walking pole. To save postage I’d THOUGHT of making my own using the travel version of a walking pole which I think have more shorter length sections than standard 3 section poles so potentially fold up to a packable size. I still lean my Nomad against the wall! :)

mickeg

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2021, 07:30:21 pm »
On my titanium bike I am nervous that I could damage the frame with a kickstand.  I cut an aluminum tent pole to use like a clickstand, cut the segments short enough that I can fold it up to put in a handlebar bag.  Used a trekking pole rubber foot on each end.  My frame has the seatstays attached to the seat tube close together so the stays and seattube forms a pocket that the pole can fit in.  Filed down one of the rubber ends on three sides to fit better in that frame pocket.

Worked well enough that I made one for my folding bike and also my road bike too.

I do not need to lock a brake lever when I use a kickstand but I have to do something like that with my tent pole to keep it from rolling.  Thus, I prefer the simplicity of a kickstand so I use a kickstand on most of my other bikes. 

JohnR

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2021, 08:51:24 pm »
And here's the stainless steel version. The length is just right for my Mercury with 50mm 650b tyres.

It's actually more convenient to use than I expected as I don't bother with folding it - it comfortably fits unfolded in the provided mount attached to the bottle holder bolts on the seat tube. I wonder if the foldability is provided partly to reduce the package size for shipping.