Author Topic: Can I reuse my drain screw...?  (Read 27330 times)

Javier

Re: Can I reuse my drain screw...?
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2017, 04:51:58 pm »
I am re-using the same screw after 5 oil changes:
A tiny bit of PTFE tape and a wee drop of nail varnish on top of the tape, wait till the varnish is dry and screw it back in place (not too deep, as recommended in the Rohloff manual). I never had any leaks.
I do not bother about carrying a spare screw during long touring. If touring is within 5000km I change the oil before starting the tour. If I have to change oil during touring, o even at home, I put a cloth underneath the wheel to stop the screw to initiate its own tour in case I drop it.
Javier

bobs

« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2017, 06:51:30 pm »
Just can't understand why someone would pay £1000 approx
for a wheel and then save a few pounds by re using the drain plug.

Bob

Javier

« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2017, 09:39:51 pm »
It is not about saving money, but common sense and eco-friendly behaviour. Why not to re-use a screw which has not been under any torque stress, it is drive in and out only once a year or every 5000 km, and does not show any significant sign of rust?

I would not like not to be re-used by my girlfriend if I am in working condition after an oil change... and hopefully with higher frequency than once a year ;)

mickeg

« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2017, 11:33:35 pm »

Bob

I can't imagine not using the same screw.  I have no idea how many times I changed oil on my motorcycles, but I drove one of them for about 12 years and I never changed the drain screw on that either.  And that cost a lot more than a bicycle.  I suspect that the garage that changes the oil in my Land Rover uses the same screw too.

And, I do not even know if I could buy the screw locally, I think the short metric setscrews in my local hardware stores are hollow.  Thus, I would need the genuine Rohloff screw which no local stores will have for sale. 

As noted above, I renew the blue loctite on the screw before I put it in.

bobs

« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2017, 12:00:02 am »
Quote from: mickeg link=topic=1441.msg89618#msg89618

[/quote

And, I do not even know if I could buy the screw locally, I think the short metric setscrews in my local hardware stores are hollow.  Thus, I would need the genuine Rohloff screw which no local stores will have for sale.

If by any chance you lost the screw whilst doing the oil change you would be stuck.

As far as eco friendly behaviour is concerned,  I ensure that the screw is recycled.

Bob

mickeg

« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2017, 02:31:05 am »
Quote from: mickeg link=topic=1441.msg89618#msg89618

[/quote

If by any chance you lost the screw whilst doing the oil change you would be stuck.

Yup.

bobs

« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2017, 07:33:08 am »
 ;)

martinf

« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2017, 08:48:21 am »
I reuse the drain screw, but also have spares (they come with the oil change kits).

Andre Jute

« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2017, 02:10:39 pm »

Not so difficult to understand. Chose one or more:

Cycling was once a working-class sport and disposable income was tight; some of those attitudes have been carried over even now that we ride bikes that cost more than a workingman would have earned in a lifetime back in the early years of cycling. (My first Porsche cost less than my current bike...)

Many forum members are Scots. That too is a philosophical consideration.

It is probably natural for a higher percentage of cyclists to be conservationists and environmentalists than the adherence to those religions in the general population. Certain attitudes and practices follow and may be widely observed on cycling conferences and among pedal pals.

There are some practical shopping difficulties to do with Rohloff's packaging and cataloguing practices causing threshold resistance (a technical marketing term for a psychological barrier that can be created or overcome by certain pricing practices). There is for instance a single service oil kit, very uneconomical but complete down to a new Loctited drain screw; the threaded tube and syringe in it is reusable. There are also several bulk service sets, for instance one of 250ml each of cleaning and all seasons oil, enough for ten services, sold at a substantial saving. But there is no bulk pack of drain screws; you have to buy those individually, and at 250ml bulk buy level the 10 drain screws work out as expensive as 250ml of oil. Subjectively, that makes drain screws seem very expensive, well worth reusing. It's standard motivational psychology.

Andre Jute

« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2017, 02:12:24 pm »
By the way, Rohloff specifically permits repeated reuse not only of the drain screw but of the Loctite on it:

"As long as the thread sealant is not worn, then the old oil drain screw may be used repeatedly."
— From the instructions to Oil Change Kit Art.Nr. 8210 and Oil Set Art.Nr. 8411 "How is the oil change carried out?"

bobs

« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2017, 03:11:04 pm »
 :( And there's me a proud Scotsman wasting my hard earned pennies when I didn't need too. I'm gutted.

Bob

Tiberius

« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2017, 06:23:26 pm »
For want of better words, this thing is a ‘drain plug’…..Just like you have underneath your car or motorbike. Is there anybody in the world that replaces the drain plug on their car or motorbike EVERY TIME that they do an oil change ? (thought not !!)....

EVERY drain plug, that I have ever got involved with is a simple thing. A steel/alloy plug with a replaceable washer. An oil change just needs oil/filter/washer. No filter needed on the Rohloff, so it’s just oil and washer (in my world)

So…..Why didn’t they simply design a drain plug with a replaceable washer ??……

I guess someone would then ask…... ‘Can I reuse the washer’ ??………. ::)

John Saxby

« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2017, 07:35:30 pm »
I feel that I should be able to offer something to this conversation, but I'm feeling drained, my wellsprings of creativity (such as they are) just loc'd down tite.  (And blue as well, now that I think of it.) 

It wasn't s'posed to be like this, not on the first sunny cold "normal" January day in a month.  Happily (I assume) my Raven's oil plug--the only one I've ever used, after several seasons now--is sitting nestled in its proper spot in the shell of its hub, secure 'cos its small clutch of family members (a.k.a. "spares") is just a step away on the shelf, in the shoe box marked "Extra Rohloff Bits".

bobs

« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2017, 08:15:15 pm »

So…..Why didn’t they simply design a drain plug with a replaceable washer ??……

I guess someone would then ask…... ‘Can I reuse the washer’ ??………. ::)

Wonder if you could reuse the oil.

rualexander

« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2017, 08:31:30 pm »
It is very important that you don't insert the drain screw too deep into the Rohloff hub shell, because it may interfere in the operation of the gearbox.

One-half to one millimeter of the drain screw should ideally stand proud of the surface of the hub shell, and its top must never be any deeper than level with the surface of the hub shell.

Seems strange that they would design it so that it is possible to over insert the screw to the extent that it can interfere with the internals!
Why not build a limit of some sort into the design?