Author Topic: Can I reuse my drain screw...?  (Read 27326 times)

jawj

Can I reuse my drain screw...?
« on: October 01, 2007, 05:24:59 pm »
Howdy everyone,

Never let it be said that I'm disorganised or a cheapskate, but I've lost the new drain screw from my oil change kit and don't really fancy/can't be bothered to order a new one.

I'm willing to bet at least one of you resourceful chaps has just bunged a blob of Loctite on their old screw and turned it home.

Course you have! [;)]

Any thoughts...?

goosander

Re: Can I reuse my drain screw...?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 05:30:13 pm »
I reused mine and didn't bother with loctite - if tightened up sensibly, it won't go anywhere.

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 08:20:41 pm »
Yep just use the old screw.  I am still using the original one after 4 oil changes.   I use loctite 222

Fred A-M

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 04:01:02 pm »
Ditto after my oil change.

Eric

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2007, 08:23:54 pm »
Same here. Degreased the screw and the thread in the hub (probably didn't need to), a bit of loctite. Done it 3 times now![^]

paulhipwood

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007, 07:29:34 pm »
For the two oil changes I have done, I carefully wrapped PTFE tape around the thread.
No leaks

paul

avdave

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2007, 09:04:32 pm »
So what are you all doing with the spare ones you've got. I changed mine but kept the old one just in case. I wonder how many just in cases I'll end up with?

alcyst

• Apistos Leander
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 09:10:37 am »
Which Loctite thread sealant to use on the drain screw, and does it matter?

One of the original posters on this thread uses Loctite 222, Thorn recommend 611, SJS use 641, reading the Henkel site they all have slight differences.
Does it matter, should I care. Is the choice of beer or tea while waiting the 15mins the most important decision!

Oh, & is it worth cleaning the old gunk off the drain screw before putting it back in? Keeping in mind this will make a serious dent in the 15mins gin sipping allocation.

Andre Jute

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, 12:16:49 pm »
I've on occasion cleaned the old grub screw with a tissue to remove any gunk, and reused it, not bothering with Loctite. Never lost one on my rough lanes, don't expect to. Note that in the oil changing process you are in any event required to reuse the old screw without Loctite for at least a short ride. If it doesn't fall out then, I reckon that on the same sort of roads it is unlikely to fall out. In any event, even if the screw falls out and the gearbox drains, it won't do any damage before you notice and refill the box and fit a new screw, because enough oil sticks to the gears to keep marching on for possibly up to 3000m/5000km. Be careful not to overtighten the grub screw: that torque rating is just finger-tight (spin the shaft of the hex key between your fingers without actually gripping it) and then lightest touch of the hex key held by the short angled handle.

Of course, a long distance tourer should carry a spare grub screw already Loctited (as it comes from the factory in the refill kit) in his spares.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 11:53:11 pm by Andre Jute »

davefife

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2014, 01:38:11 pm »
just changed the oil on RST yesterday and reused the drain screw, have lost count of the number of oil changes and reuse of it made
Dave

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2014, 07:53:58 pm »
Same here. Reuse the screw. I bought a kit that didn't come with a new screw but didn't worry about it.
Good point about a long term tourer taking 1.
I think I would take 2 and pack in separate bags. But that's just me.

Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

David Simpson

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2014, 08:24:27 pm »
I think I would take 2 and pack in separate bags.

You're not concerned about the extra weight?   ;)

Seriously, that's a great idea. When I was last changing my hub oil, I accidentally dropped the screw on the floor. Fortunately I found it easily. I would hate to be changing the oil outside and drop the screw. It might be lost forever. Having a second spare screw is good insurance against our own clumsiness.

- Dave

alcyst

• Apistos Leander
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2014, 12:15:36 am »
Summary in order;
- re-use
- have a spare one
-
- Loctite, irrespective of type, is well down the list

julk

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2014, 08:57:19 am »
I read some time ago a post which cautioned that when using loctite, or similar, it was very important not to get any into the hub where it could be very detrimental to operation.
julk.

davefife

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2014, 01:38:43 pm »
I accidentally dropped the screw on the floor

you need a magnetic floor  ;D as we have in the trade :D