Technical > Wheels, Tyres and Brakes

Nomad disk brake

<< < (2/3) > >>

JohnR:

--- Quote from: KDean on November 23, 2021, 12:46:45 pm ---Mine are TRP Spyke . You also have to take the wheel off to change the pads , Unlike my Ribble  , I just hope the pads last longer than 3 days as they did on my Ribble while doing LEJOG .

--- End quote ---
Have you tried semi-metallic pads? They can be a bit noisy but wear more slowly.

mickeg:
Are you saying that only one pad on your TRP brake unit moves when you actuate the brake?  Both should move in and out.

I have TRP Spyre on my Lynskey.  I think it is almost identical to the Spike except for cable pull difference, from drop bar or flat bar levers.

Pads last a LONG time.  But I do not ride in mud. 

If I recall correctly it came with semi-metalic pads.  I tried to run in the pads and rotor as described in the instructions, that improved them a bit but I was still unhappy with the braking performance.  I put some cheap resin pads on that grip much better but have a shorter life.  But I found that the resin pads can overheat and fade if you have a really tall steep hill that you are going down, I would expect better fade resistance from the semi-metalic pads.

KDean:
Thanks for all the replies .I don't understand the design where you have to take the wheel off to remove the pads , every time you get squeaking it'll be a pain in the bum just to decontaminate them .

JohnR:

--- Quote from: KDean on November 27, 2021, 08:02:18 pm ---Thanks for all the replies .I don't understand the design where you have to take the wheel off to remove the pads , every time you get squeaking it'll be a pain in the bum just to decontaminate them .

--- End quote ---
I think the noise from semi metallic pads is a winter problem - they tend to oxidise a little in damp conditions between rides - and not contamination from oil or grease which reduces the effectiveness. Semi-metallic is probably more appropriate for the longer summer rides. Pad maintenance should be fairly infrequent. I had only adjusted, but not otherwise touched, the original pads on my Mercury (TRP Spyke brakes) prior to changing the pads at nearly 4,000 miles. I don't know, without rummaging in my garage, what material they were. There's useful info at https://trpcycling.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-trp-brake-pads-and-rotors/.

PH:

--- Quote from: KDean on November 23, 2021, 12:46:45 pm ---Mine are TRP Spyke . You also have to take the wheel off to change the pads

--- End quote ---
Something definitely wrong if only one pad is moving, I'd remove and clean and see how it operates off the bike.  I'm not a fan of these brakes, the working parts have been made too small in order to have both pads move.  I stripped and serviced one once, and that'll be the only once! The bearings are tiny and not well protected, that they work well for some people is more a surprise than that they don't for others.
Squealing - I use Discobrakes Kevlar pads (A type of resin) no breaking in period, better bite point, no squealing, never had a reason to remove them till worn out...  The downside is they wear quicker than sintered pads, but no excessively quick like some resin pads, I can live with that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version