Technical > Wheels, Tyres and Brakes

26" Tire

<< < (3/3)

KDean:
What are they like in mud ? I'm thinking  bridleways in torrential rain  .

martinf:

--- Quote from: KDean on November 02, 2021, 06:44:52 pm ---What are they like in mud ? I'm thinking  bridleways in torrential rain  .

--- End quote ---

Duremes won't be as good as a dedicated off-road mud tyre in muddy wet conditions. But a dedicated off-road mud tyre will almost certainly be MUCH slower on tarmac and hard gravel paths.

As others have said, it depends on the compromise you want. In the winter of 2017/2018 I did several hundred kms of survey work in often wet conditions, about 30% off road on rural tracks, paths, field edges (so a lot of mud), the rest on tarmac. I used 50 mm Marathon Supremes, in the 650B size, which were the fattest tyres that would fit on that bike. Worked OK for me.

A couple of years previously, on a different survey work contract that lasted about 6 months, I used 50 mm Duremes in the 26 inch size on a different bike, about 50% on sandy tracks, the rest mainly on reasonably well surfaced cycle paths. The Duremes are IMO marginally better for off-road grip than the Supremes, but the main feature that makes me prefer them for off-road use is that I believe they have stronger sidewalls, so they should be less likely to be damaged by rocks, deep potholes or hard bits of tree stump. Not that I have (yet) damaged any Supremes.

martinf:

--- Quote from: martinf on November 02, 2021, 07:33:25 pm ---Not that I have (yet) damaged any Supremes.
--- End quote ---

Famous last words!

Riding my utility bike back from the supermarket this morning I noticed a wobble on the rear tyre. The carcass had failed at the edge of the Kevlar belt underneath the tread, and I could see the inner tube. So replacement definitely needed.

If this happened on a tour I would probably patch the tyre from the inside with a section cut from a very lightweight tyre (16" folding Kojak) that I carry for the purpose.

The tyre in question dates from 2010 or 2011 and had been well used, something like 8,000 kms on rear wheels, less on the front.

One of the photos shows the longitudinal cracks on the sidewall, this tyre has had these for several years.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version