Technical > Wheels, Tyres and Brakes

26" Tire

(1/3) > >>

KDean:
What's the best 26"  allround tire that is currently available ?

in4:
IMHO Marathons for the rougher surfaces and Supremes for the smooth stuff. Others will definitely offer alternatives!

mickeg:
On my Sherpa, before I tour I decide if that tour is mostly on gravel or pavement (tarmac) and I start thinking about what tires I want to use based on that.  And that decision includes what tire width I want to have on the bike.  And I might pick different tires if I was going to be doing loaded touring or riding an unladen bike.  And any tire I pick for dirt riding would not be a tire I pick for pavement riding.

If there was one best tire, nobody else would make tires.

KDean:
"If there was one best tire, nobody else would make tires."
So do you change tires on route ?  When I did LEJOG there was a huge difference between so called canal paths  for instance some were like mountain bike tracks especially during 10 days of heavy rain  & other Tarmac & I had a happy medium of tire set up that I was happy with . I just wondered what that would be on a Thorn Nomad MK2 as the Dureme won't be available .

mickeg:

--- Quote from: KDean on October 22, 2021, 03:21:28 pm ---"If there was one best tire, nobody else would make tires."
So do you change tires on route ?  When I did LEJOG there was a huge difference between so called canal paths  for instance some were like mountain bike tracks especially during 10 days of heavy rain  & other Tarmac & I had a happy medium of tire set up that I was happy with . I just wondered what that would be on a Thorn Nomad MK2 as the Dureme won't be available .

--- End quote ---

So, if you are looking for a Dureme, a Marathon with Greenguard or a Mondial might be alternatives.

No, I do not bring a bunch of tires and change them on a trip.  On my Sherpa, if the route is mostly paved I am using a Schwalbe Marathon (with Greenguard) in 40mm width.  If I am on a trip with mostly gravel I am using 50mm width Marathon Extremes (discontinued) or Duremes.  The Extremes have a more aggressive tread, the Duremes have a more pavement oriented tread.  On that bike, I am picking from those three options.  And I should point out that this assumes I am hauling my camping gear on the bike.  If I was going somewhere to ride an unladen bike, I would probably pick a 700c bike instead.

I make that plan in advance based on where the bike tour will be.  And I am also chosing a bike based on how heavily loaded the bike will be.  My other bikes, I am more likely to have a shorter list of choices, as I have used my Sherpa on a wider range of road surfaces than my other bikes. 

For a loaded tour, on my Nomad Mk II, I use 57mm wide Marathon Extremes, but I was thinking on the last tour I did with that bike that a 55mm Dureme might have made more sense up front, I have one of those that I could have used.  Up front the aggressive tread of the Extreme was overkill.

Since I have not bought tires for these bikes for several years, I can't say what I would buy today because I do not know what is available today.

If I carry a spare tire on a trip, it generally is not a replacement for a tire I am using, instead it is a light weight tire with minimal tread that I would use to get to a bike shop where I can get a better replacement tire.  Thus, my spare would be lighter and smaller in the bottom of a pannier.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version